Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found 2 SBLs at a stocking dealer. MR13xxx and MR14xxx. Stock fit was OK, but not great. One was fatter across the pistol grip than the other. Checkering fair to poor.

Nothing else glaring. One had a steel part visible from the bottom of the action with what appeared to be yellow paint. Not visible with the action closed. Triggers were OK, but not great with some creep after initial takeup.

Both had the XS front sight mount canted just a bit to the right the same amount. Hoping they will make improvement.

I talked to a Marlin Dealer at a show. He said that Davidsons returned a whole lot of SBLs based on QC. I called Davidsons, could not confirm or deny, but you may note they have zero in stock.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Saw that you're new and talking about buying one of the new "remlin" models. Maybe I can help. I just bought a new remlin GBL, and have to tell you, it took a lot of looking to find one that was put together well enough to be a starting point for what I want to build.

Basically, you are going to search the racks of many gunstores, and compare all the SBL's they have in stock. You'll do this over a period of time, as you have to let the inferior inventory get washed out before you find the right one.

It's a pain in the ass, but some of them actually do come off the line in good shape, although I'd admit, not too many of them. It took me over three months of looking. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jonny. Thanks for the help; good advice. I keep thinking that Remlin in Ilion will get it figured out. Latest ones I've seen are up to MR25xxx. I will be patient and keep looking.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Have faith. When you find the right one, it'll be magic. If I were a new Marlin owner, I might think about buying used first, honestly. It'd be easy to find a good used one that's a few years old.

Look, a Marlin 1895 that's 10 years old still has lots of life left, and it's a good deal cheaper than a new one. Visit a few gun-shows and look around. Pawn shops are a good bet too. Lots of folks buy a 45/70, shoot it 5 times, discover they can't handle the recoil, and trade it for something else.

Until you've got your "feet on the ground", it might be better to go with a known quantity, rather than risk it with a new, and (dramatically) unproven product.

Wish I had better news.......

jonny

·
Registered
261 Posts
When you think you have found a good one lay a yard stick along the side of the receiver while noting the gap between the edge and your barrel. Check both sides. If the gap between the barrel and the straight edge are not the same on both sides walk away. I believe you can check for barrel droop as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally found one... An SBL with a Marlin serial number, and Marlin proofmark. 93xxxxxx serial number indicating that the receiver was made in 2007.

It was slightly used, but I was willing to pay new gun price, since I considered it better than new. It has better checkering, better stock to receiver fit, the action is smooth and the trigger is crisp. Straight sights and rail, and no random scratches on the receiver. Glad I waited and kept looking.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
r7 said:
I finally found one... An SBL with a Marlin serial number, and Marlin proofmark. 93xxxxxx serial number indicating that the receiver was made in 2007.

It was slightly used, but I was willing to pay new gun price, since I considered it better than new. It has better checkering, better stock to receiver fit, the action is smooth and the trigger is crisp. Straight sights and rail, and no random scratches on the receiver. Glad I waited and kept looking.
I may be wrong here but I don't think the SBL was offered in 2007. I lose track of my Marlin-time sometimes though so maybe I'm not thinking right but I thought it was more like 2008 or 2009 they came out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts