Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
For deer or hawgs: 50 yards. Old Model Ruger Blackhawk-7 1/2"-.45 Colt-open sights-250 grainSWC 10 gr Unique. That's the longest shot I'm likely to get where I hunt.

·
Registered
95 Posts
4 point Buck at 55 yards (paces). My Hunting Big Game limit is 50 yards, this was close enough. I used my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, Speer 225 gr JHP over a max load of Hercules 2400 powder. :wink:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good. I'm currently working on a SRH in 454 and have a load for 300 Speer UCSP's. I put the info. into Point Blank and it gave me 151 yards in a 6" zone for the above load. That's 2.4" high at 100 yards. Need to test it out on pie plates further out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I shot a red fox ,which was running with a chicken in its mouth at 80yrds with a Kimber .45. 1 dead fox. 2 witnesses . 150 yrds yrds. with my hunting handguns............................................................OTTO

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Bear Hunt said:
Sounds good. I'm currently working on a SRH in 454 and have a load for 300 Speer UCSP's. I put the info. into Point Blank and it gave me 151 yards in a 6" zone for the above load. That's 2.4" high at 100 yards. Need to test it out on pie plates further out.
Bearhunt-I love the 300 grain Speer bullet in my .454.I think it is tougher than the Cor-Bon 300 that I have seen come apart unlike the Good Speer bullet.For a jacketed bullet the Speer is my choice.As for distance with my .454..well my .454 is better than I am with a pistol.I would have to limit myself to 75 yards for a Deer and maybe 100 for an Elk if it was broadside.I am 3 inches high at 50.(I just always do it 3 high and don't know why? :lol: )

The bad thing is I put a Burris Speed dot on it and found out it is illegle to hunt with in Idaho...Bummer.It comes off quick tho?????????? :twisted:

Best of luck....Jayco.

·
Registered
719 Posts
longest shot

100yds behind the targets.....with 44mag keith loads, S&W mod 29. groundhog to the nieghbors cooking pot!

·
Premium Member
12,009 Posts
At this point, I'd limit myself to about 75 yards with the iron sights on my .44 or .500 S&W revolvers. My big revolvers have only been used on rockchucks, jackrabbits, coyotes and the like... Not a deer, bear, boar or elk from either of them yet. Lazy revolvers!

That said, a hunting buddy with a scoped .454 Casull stopped a fleeing elk at 200+ yards. It had been wounded by another fellow with a .338 Win mag! The rifle shooter ran out of ammo trying to hit it a second time and asked my buddy to stop the elk before it hit timber. He did it!

That particular pistolero has quite a bit of experience with handgun silhouette shooting. Regards, Guy

·
Registered
87 Posts
have shot targets at 100 yards with many of my handguns.

i shot a doe in the head at 42 long paces once with my .45 Govt model. she dropped in her tracks. Federal hydrashock 230.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I'm pretty good on pop cans at 80-100yds with my Single Six using a SUPPORTED shooting postion. Offhand would be half that for pop cans......a paper plate at 100yds with the Single Six, supported, is dead most of the time. So I guess if I had a centerfire that shot as least as good as the Single Six, I'd take a 100 or so yard supported shotand about half that offhand. I'm gonna work on that real hard this year.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Depends on the size of the target.Ground squirrels 10 feet,basketballs 15 feet,garbage cans 25 feet,cars in good light 50 feet.Broad sde of the barn 100 feet. Hey,I'm being HONEST HERE. modoc

·
Registered
627 Posts
I really enjoy shooting the Vaquero at ranges that I do. I haven't tried any shooting with it from a rest, I'm sure I could get an extra 20 or 30 yards if I did. I just don't practice it because I don't figure I'll always find a solid rest out wherever I'm at. I use the Vaquero as a close in back up, anyway. Mostly when I'm in thick stuff and the rifle is too cumbersome.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Usually 30 yds or less. Much less. But once had to shoot 100 yds. After wounding shot with 30-06. Was in tree stand, deer ran through fast and I didn't get a good hit on him. Semi 06 jammed. He stood broadside at 100 yds, and I luckily hit him in neck with second shot with 45 colt BH that dropped him where he was standing. Was aiming offhand at chest. Pretty much a boggled up event, but turned out ok.

jar

·
Registered
285 Posts
With my current .41 magnum, I would take shots under the right conditions to 150 yards on deer. Last year, my 3 point dropped with a heart shot at what I thought was about 115 yards. My friends who looked at the spot where I was shooting from and where the deer was standing, claim it was a bit further, but what do they know?

·
Registered
6 Posts
100 yards. S & W Model 629 with 6 1/2" barrel, 2X Leupold scope. From a benchrest, I shot a 4-shot group that went 2 3/8 " center-to-center with the first load I tried. 180 gr. Hornady HP/ XTP with 18.0 gr. of Blue Dot. It was a lot better group than some rifles have shot at the annual "hunter's sight-in days" at the local rifle range! ':oops:'

·
Registered
6 Posts
100 yards. S & W Model 629 with 6 1/2" barrel, 2X Leupold scope. From a benchrest, I shot a 4-shot group that went 2 3/8 " center-to-center with the first load I tried. 180 gr. Hornady HP/ XTP with 18.0 gr. of Blue Dot. It was a lot better group than some rifles have shot at the annual "hunter's sight-in days" at the local rifle range! ':oops:'

1 - 20 of 28 Posts