Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
What are your longest shoot that you've realised with your 336 in 30-30 manufactured or reloaded ammo.
Thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Just shot a large doe on New Years day with the 30-30 using handloads with the Rem 170 gr RN at about 130 yards. It did the trick.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Hey Chris,

Send us some pics of your country in the 'Favorite Outdoor Picture' thread in the Big Bore forum.

Dave 8)

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Witnessed a 30-30 shot in 1975, man had a win 94 with the military sights on it he raised the sights to a little over 400yds and shot a large buck 7pt diagonally across a forty acre field. Most amazing shot I had seen, as it was offhand and open sights. Do wish I had a camera on hand.

G

·
Swany,

That sounds like quite the shot there I to would have loved to have been there to witness it. Ha and they say the 30-30 is a 100 yard cartridge.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
"...he raised the sights to a little over 400yds and shot a large buck 7pt diagonally across a forty acre field."

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
At the east end of the Runway -2800' -is a 3/4" steel 3' diameter plate--clutch plate from a D-9 I believe and I tried it today with a 94 held about 40" over and hit the bottom or the dirt because I got the ring.With the M1A and the Leatherwood scope I ring it each time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I saw a guy break the spine of a cow elk at three hundred yards using a model 94 Winchester with iron sights. There was so much luck riding on that bullet the elk went down like a freight train hit it. 170 grain Winchester power point.

G

·
The 30-30 is an honest cartrige and like the 45-70 has been doing its job without fail (and fanfare from most) for a long, long time. I have been suprised and impressed by both. The longest shot I saw was 150 yards on a bull elk. One shot with 170grn gas checked bullets. That was almost 30 years ago and that cured my magnumitus on the spot. There I stood with my 300 Win Mag in hand watching the spectical....Don't get me wrong, the 300 mag has its place, but back then, I thought it was kinda "entry-level" for elk............Go figure, huh? :shock:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My neice's husband was bet by my nephew that he couldn't hit the young doe at about 325 yds across a terraced cornfield. Well, he did with his first shot (which was his last bullet) both thought he had missed the deer till it just fell over. Didn't take a step. 150 gr Rem I think, went thru lungs and kept on going. Now none of us have any magnums, alot easier on our shoulders and pocket books.

·
Registered
719 Posts
not 336...but still a 30-30.......

had a nice winnie 94, and as we walked the RR tracks one day, i stood up a 4' piece of RR tie on it's end. we decided to count 500 paces and try a shot, just for fun. welll...at the end of our counting, i sat down, jacked the sight to the top step....took a breath, and squeezed the trigger....my hunting partner started laughing....."you missed.you miss.....dang! lookit!"
i was amazed....the tie fell over!.....and when we walked back down there...the 170gr silvertip, had hit at the edge of the tie, penetrating a good 4" of that tuff wood, and kept on going!
a new respect for the ol'30-30 after that! :p

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wasn't knocking what Swany saw. It is just over 600 yds diagonal across a 40. Around here most fields are terraced for irrigation purposes and even without tree lines and such we normally can't see 600 yds, unless you are on the top of a long slope.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks,
My longest shoot are at about 150yds but i think whith a long barrel, a scope and a good ammo to shooting at 300yds.
VTDW i send pictures as soo as possible , i'm very working for openning my gunsmith shop in february( i hope) and also my father is always at hospital so i can't go hunting since a long time.
Sincerely
Chris

Reactions: momentum

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi Chris,
Are you anywhere near Toulon or Villefranche? It has been over 20 years, but, I seem to recall seeing a gun shop in Toulon. Maybe it wasn't Toulon........it has been so long since I was in the area. Anyway, I enjoyed my time there and would like to go back for a visit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm in the midlle of France in the "massif central" not far from Limoges.
Happy to see you
Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
The longest shot I have personally made with my 30-30 was at a cactus at 308 yards on my rangefinder. The cactus was about a 10 inch diameter in thickness, and stood at the base of a hill. My son was watching the cactus with binoculars.I aimed about 7" high and fired. The bullet hit the intended spot right on, and went through the cactus and into the hillside beyond it. I repeated this twice more with the same results. The bullets were Remington 170 grain CoreLokt.

My Marlin 30-30 was my primary longarm before this happened, but after this I too, quit thinking of the 30-30 as a 100-yard-only cartridge.

My business partner, an Arizona native, has hunted and killed many deer and javelina (a desert wild boar) for many years, using exclusively his 30-30 with iron sights.

My #2 rifle preference is my 45-70.

It would be nice to see some pictures of your country, Chris. I'm glad you are here on this forum, given what's happened between our countries recently.

MadDog

·
Registered
6 Posts
this is and old post but i would like to here more and about lever-evolution, my longest was a practice shot at around 200yds +/- 2yds with rem core-lokt 150gns at a milk jug aiming at cap hit middle of shooting sticks

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
My longest personal shot with a .30-30 was 205 yards. A friend and I were hunting one day on the same tract. At midday we met up for lunch, and as we were sitting there he looked up and spotted a nice buck across a field. He asked me how far I thought it was, and my immediate reply was 200 yards. He thought that estimate was way short. He had a scoped Remington 700 in .270, so I told him just to hold dead-on and shoot. Well, he shot and missed three times, holding too high, and the buck still stood there looking at us. I picked up my scoped 336 and, from sitting position, fired one shot. The buck took about two steps, spun in a tight little circle, and collapsed.

My friend still swears it was 400 yards, and that my shot was miraculous. ;) :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts