Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the right place to ask this,But what is the best way (lube ) I can put on guns & ammo-for long term storage? They will be stored in a place that is not controlled by heat & cooling,I'd like to grease the guns & also ammo.Wanted something that will not trap the moisture in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why you gonna store 'em long term??? They're happier being shot!

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
For your firearms get some RIG.......

I keep my ammo in a dry place......no lube\grease.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I recommend Rig Universal. Wipe the gun down with a rag and rig. Put rig on a patch and run it down the bore after cleaning it and it will be good for a long time. The ammo I never did anything with.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Send the guns and ammo to me and I will make sure they do not rust.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I like the Rem Oil swabs for wiping down my guns. WalMart carries them. I don't do anything for my ammo except to keep it stacked up in a closet.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
six_gunz was right on the money! RIG is fantastic (I think it stands for "rust inhibiting grease") - ammo should NOT be oiled, greased, treated, in any manner - dry storage in original packing is best, and has worked for decades. Another alternative for firearms is the microcrystalline waxes used by museums.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
bama20a said:
Hope this is the right place to ask this,But what is the best way (lube ) I can put on guns & ammo-for long term storage? They will be stored in a place that is not controlled by heat & cooling,I'd like to grease the guns & also ammo.Wanted something that will not trap the moisture in.
How "long" of term are you talking about? If for a couple of weeks, just a light swab of any good gun oil in the bore - just be sure to swab it dry before making it go bang the next time. If is going to be stored for a couple of months, same deal. If stored for a year or more, you might want to look at the RIG. If you are going to store them for two years or more, track down some cosmoline.

I agree with some of the other posters though -- why would you want to store a firearm for very long anyhow? As for the ammo, clean, dry storage (in the original packaging, then placed in the green cammed lid military cans) is the way to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
reason for the storage is,I may be getting a job in Central America,That would keep me gone for about 3 years,I have not made my mind up yet,If I'll even go,Money sure sounds good ;D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another vote for RIG. Best for 'in the barrel swab' long term storage. One container will last a long time.
Does need to be cleaned prior to shooting.

Rig in the barrel. Spray the exterior metal with Rem oil and store in a silcone permeated cloth gun sleeve is a very good option.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Halwg said:
Send the guns and ammo to me and I will make sure they do not rust.
This :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts