Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This unseasonably warm weather in PA has got my spring turkey strings plucking pretty hard. Whipped out the calls and have been giving it a go. I've been using pretty standard 5 shot 3" turkey loads for years. Last spring I nailed a big tom at 50 yards and last fall I hit one at around 40. The guy I was with (we doubled btw) suggested I get Long Beard XR as I may increase the odds even more with loads that can handle 50-60.

The question: these sound great for long range, but has anyone used these for under 20/30 yards? Concern being the pattern is too tight and useless at anything shorter than 30.

·
Registered
503 Posts
This unseasonably warm weather in PA has got my spring turkey strings plucking pretty hard. Whipped out the calls and have been giving it a go. I've been using pretty standard 5 shot 3" turkey loads for years. Last spring I nailed a big tom at 50 yards and last fall I hit one at around 40. The guy I was with (we doubled btw) suggested I get Long Beard XR as I may increase the odds even more with loads that can handle 50-60.

The question: these sound great for long range, but has anyone used these for under 20/30 yards? Concern being the pattern is too tight and useless at anything shorter than 30.

That is what I have found out. I have talked with a few other guys, and that is what they said also. Super tight up close.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Appreciate you asking around too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I shoot them out of my SBE 2. If the turkey gets too close you had better be on him. I hope to not let one get that close.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
One of these days I should probably try some newer loads out there like these I suppose. Most of my Turkey hunting has been done with 2 3/4" #4 high brass loads with my old 12ga Winchester pump w/full choke I still use, ha! Just like it over my others, and has worked for me so far, but doesn't mean I shouldn't try to be able to reach out there a bit more if I want perhaps...?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If you want a tight pattern at 40yds anything is tight at 20yds, honestly anything through a turkey choke is tight at 20yds. From my shooting the Longbeards are no tighter at 20yds than anything else I shoot.

My all time favorite load for a 12 gauge is the Hevi13 3" 2oz #7 or Hevi13 3.5" 2.25oz #7 load.

Standard Winchester at 42yds and at 22yds in a 10" circle, Longbeards are no tighter at 20yds.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the other suggestions, and good to know the pattern doesn't change too much. I guess I'm better off heading to the range (woe's me) and testing different rounds to see how they pattern!

If you want a tight pattern at 40yds anything is tight at 20yds, honestly anything through a turkey choke is tight at 20yds. From my shooting the Longbeards are no tighter at 20yds than anything else I shoot.

My all time favorite load for a 12 gauge is the Hevi13 3" 2oz #7 or Hevi13 3.5" 2.25oz #7 load.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I sure don't like patterning a turkey gun. I've not hunted with a 12 gauge in years. I shoot a youth 870 20 gauge with 3" Federal #7's. I doubt I'll ever pack a 12 again.

I think you'll like the longbeards. They've patterned great for me.

If you don't care to spend the money, the Hevi13 7's are wicked bad. I only shoot 1-2 a year unless I'm shooting at a bird.

This was the lowest # my 835 with 3.5" 7's ever put up, and I broke 300 a couple times. Nothing is getting away from that.

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Longbeards are amazing!! I hope they bring them out in 10ga and 20ga... Longbeards are 90% the shells that my Nitro ammo Co loads are at a fraction of the cost

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
From looking at the patterns from the 20ga Longbeards they don't have the same success as the 12ga longbeards. There have been some good patterns posted, but very few. Most are no better than regular lead loads.

For a 20 gauge nothing touches the Fed HeavyWeight 7's.

I just picked up a new Colonial Arms .570 choke for my youth 870 20ga. Fed 7's @ 42yds

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts