Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes you just need to be Lucky:

I placed a sealed bid at an auction this weekend at a price I knew wouldn't get these two and I was very,very lucky, I won. Top is an 1894 from 1895 in 32-20 with a 28" barrel. Bottom is an 1889 in 44W from 1892 with a 24" barrel. Just got home with them so I'll add more about these later. Should be fun.

VKJ37A-L-F2-L.jpg VKJ37A-L-F1-L.jpg

These are the auction house photos

Steve--:tee:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Good going Steve! Don't that just give you the tinglies all over?

Reactions: ia1727

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Steve, them are some beauties! I'm fond of the .32-20 caliber myself, and can't wait for some more pics.:five: :beer:

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Steve,

Good for you!

All that "clean living, and pure thoughts", finally pays off!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Steve congrats and that old saying "timing is everything sure does apply here. eh

·
Registered
519 Posts
Very nice, very nice indeed....

I long to add an 1889 to the collection, but man are they scarce this side of the pond....

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for your comments.

We'll start with the 32W (32-20), Model 1894 from 1895 with a 28" barrel. This is definitely the gem of the two. Whom ever was the original owner of this gun took extremely good care of it---with the exception of a couple of warts. Everything serials to the gun, internals are immaculate and just as clean as the day it was new. Bore is excellent. have not slugged it yet. I did shoot 5 rounds through it the day I got it. I shot at 4" dinger plates at 25 yds. from inside the house, out the side door ( raining ) and rang it with everyshot. The 28" barrel of course takes a little getting used to ( MVA sight maybe), it's balance point is a little forward of the norm and maybe just a tad front heavy, but not bad at all. Still shows some CCH in protected areas. I hope to slug this gun and shoot at some targets later today if the rain will stay away long enough.

DSC_0469.JPG DSC_0470.JPG DSC_0471.JPG DSC_0472.JPG DSC_0473.JPG

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the remainder of the 32-20 photos. In photo #3 you can see the warts. I normally would just walk away from any antique 1894 that has been D&T'd, but ( here comes my rationalization) the gun is immaculate, has a 28" barrel ( not easy to find) has beautiful wood, still has some CCH and is 100% original,what's not to like-------at least that's what I told myself. So I placed my sealed bid and walked around awhile, headed out to the car--the auction wouldn't be held for 2 days and thought about it all the way home.

DSC_0474.JPG DSC_0475.JPG DSC_0477.JPG DSC_0479.JPG

Pic #4 is of our flying rats----we now have a herd of those things flying around and can't hardly keep up with filling the feeders.

Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Model 1889 44W ( 44-40) from 1892 with 24" barrel.

This gun is definitely the other side of the equation and why I almost backed out of bidding entirely. This ol' boy has definitely been down the trail more than a few times. The bore looks respectable, is definitely not pitted anywhere but the crown has me a little worried. Overall condition is good for its age yet has some problems. Everything serials to the gun so almost everything is 100% original. During the viewing at the auction house I could not get the gun to stay cocked, there was no half cock, and the one time it did stay cocked it it went off by itself during minor movement. A little scary. The rear sight is for all practical purposes ruined, if you can see it in pic numbers 3 &4 someone got happy hands with a file. So much so that it is filed down and filed open so far that when looking at the front sight the elevator blocks the view of the front blade.

I did fire 5 rounds through it at the same targets as the 32-20 and have no idea where they hit-------lots of work ahead for this ol' boy.

DSC_0481.JPG DSC_0482.JPG DSC_0483.JPG DSC_0484.JPG DSC_0485.JPG

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Remainder of 44-40 pics. If you look at pic #5 up close you can see the damage done to the rear sight. One other thing to note. I mentioned there was no half cock and at full cock it would go off by itself. I think I have fixed both. As it turns out the trigger spring was loose and worn. I took the spring out, cleaned it and bent it downward a little more to put more pressure on the trigger. Also, the safety catch was frozen in place by years of gunk. I oiled the safety catch area heavily and used a brass picking tool to get it loose. Cleaned out all the gun and accumulated crap and it now works just fine. I did also notice someone had done a trigger job on this by polishing the notches on the the hammer and relieving the end of the trigger. It has a pretty light trigger pull base on what I'm used to but not bad. Stay tuned for the final pic of the rifles mainspring. Think F-150.:biggrin:

DSC_0485.JPG DSC_0486.JPG DSC_0487.JPG DSC_0488.JPG DSC_0489.JPG

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the F-150 main spring ( leaf springs) I eluded to earlier. I would appear that at some time in this guns lifetime that the main spring was either lost or broken. The owner at the time either didn't have access to a replacement or didn't have the coin to buy one so he made his own---pretty ingenious really and it seems to work OK. I have ordered a replacement mainspring and firing pin from Wiseners "just in case". One other Note To Mention:

While looking at this gun at the auction house I could see that the stock had been refinished (I thought) at some point in time as the wood was shy of the tang, especially on the bottom half. I didn't notice it or think about it until I saw these pictures. It turns out the stock was fine. All the screws were nearly impossible to get loose, in fact, I still can get the screw loose on the crescent butt plate. It appears as though the tang screw was just loose and allowed the riles tang to spring open a bit making it look proud of the wood. After cleaning the screw threads it now tightens up to where it should be. IOW---make sure the tang screw is bottomed out before you judge the stock, YMMV. Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Steve,

A fine pair of Marlins!

The crown job looks like it will "clean right up".

Pretty sure you will have both of them shooting straight, in short order.

Later, Mark

1 - 20 of 80 Posts