Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old style RCBS seater for my .45-70. It uses the allen screw into a lead ball to tighten the lock ring on the die body. I've lost the instructions 30 years ago and haven't changed this die in ages. Can't seem to loosen the lock ring. I know the lead has flattenend, as designed, into the die threads. Seems like brute force was used in the past. Doesn't work now. Suggestions?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have you tried letting it soak in a cup of moter oil over night?
just a thought........

·
Registered
89 Posts
If I remember right you need to tap the screw with a soft headed hammer and this will set the threads into the lead and you will be able to turn the lockring. It's been a while since I've had to adjust my dies but this seems the correct way of doing it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Back the set screw out and tap the die hard and repeatedly against wood with the hole down. This should loosen the lead to the point you can unscrew the ring. If that doesn't work, you are back to brute force. Couple of strap wrenches might work. Locking rings being cheap and expendable, as a last resort, I'd put the die into a padded vice and take a pipe wrench to the locking ring.

You might also think of changing all the lock rings of that type that you have before it happens again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guys, thank you. Tapping (hard) on the ring at the screw location did in fact loosen it. This works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts