Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching for a 35 and located one in Vermont with an asking price of $300. True good to be true ? Any suggestions on how to verify its on the up and up ? I missed out on one on this forum this evening.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
That is a good price - for a JM rifle in good working condition.

Find the year and the condition, and we can give our two cents about it.

Also, where it's listed matters. I had good luck on Gunbroker, but heard complaints about Armslist, others.

Good luck!

Brocky

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
look it over real good for cracks in the wood which can be fixed easily and the condition of the wood and bluing on the barrel and other parts, is the crown good? does the lever function smooth, do you know the first two of the ser.# Take a cleaning rod with you and some dry patches and a cleaning rod with you and run down the bore and see if any rust is on the patch, all these things are bargaining chips in your favor. but as far as the price goes it sounds great.

By the way Brocky how is the 41 and waffle top doing?

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
look it over real good for cracks in the wood which can be fixed easily and the condition of the wood and bluing on the barrel and other parts, is the crown good? does the lever function smooth, do you know the first two of the ser.# Take a cleaning rod with you and some dry patches and a cleaning rod with you and run down the bore and see if any rust is on the patch, all these things are bargaining chips in your favor. but as far as the price goes it sounds great.

By the way Brocky how is the 41 and waffle top doing?
Buckeye Red,

Yukondog had good advice about the patches. Maybe bring a small light to see down the bore, too.

Use the serial number to find the year it was made by checking Schtoolie's chart - http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-collectors/97319-finally-updated-marlin-dates-production-sheets.html

And post pics when you get it!

Hey Yukondog!

The .41 is just the best handgun caliber lever-action there is! Accurate, flat shooting and packs a wallop! I love it more every time I shoot it. (Finally found a stash of ammo.)

The 35 Rem waffle top is another winner. It's slick inside and out. Great job on the wood, by the way - it feels like satin. Thanks a million, Yukon!

If I could only have two calibers, I'd choose .41 and .35!

Brocky

·
Registered
513 Posts
I picked up a really nice JM 336 in 35 last year from a Vermont seller on GB. Ended up the only bidder, which amazed me. The price was good, not great, but it was exactly what I was looking for. The seller should be very willing to send you some additional photos to help you size up the rifle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I asked and received additional pictures and the gun appears to be in good shape. It has a manufacturing date of 1986. I received the contact information but was told that the best way to contact him was through email or text. I have a secure line at work and asked that a copy of his driver license be sent or if he prefered mailed to me. No response since that request.
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE
Jay

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
I have a secure line at work and asked that a copy of his driver license be sent or if he prefered mailed to me. No response since that request.
With all due respect, if someone asked me for my drivers license to be mailed or E-mailed, I wouldn't respond either. A license shared at a legal FTF sale, yes, I wouldn't mind that at all.

Bill

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yep dont run the seller off. Meet and look the rifle over. Then yall can exchange info. People getting a little shy these days of some one knowing too much

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
336 Fan I understand completely and I was hesitant to ask, but I'm also heistant to send money to a P.O. Box. It's not possible to meet FTF. My FFL requires a copy be sent with the rifle would it be more reasonable to have it faxed to my FFL ??

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
336 Fan I understand completely and I was hesitant to ask, but I'm also heistant to send money to a P.O. Box. It's not possible to meet FTF. My FFL requires a copy be sent with the rifle would it be more reasonable to have it faxed to my FFL ??
Yes, I would have the FFL handle it. He would be more apt to send it if the FFL required it. Or have him send the gun from his FFL to your FFL.

Bill

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is a heck of a price!! You have gotten some good info from these guys here I hope you are able to score on this rifle it would be a dang good one to have!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've only bought one gun off the internet,all the others have been face to face. I would feel better if I could reach him by phone and have a conversation instead of just emailing.

Jay

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yep I feel the same way. I have text folks about guns from armslist. After texting first to get in touch I called. If its up and up deal. they will talk to you. There are folks that will scam too so feel him out . I wouldnt send money like you said to a PO box. with out some kind of info and talking to seller. Good call. Thats why I like FTF deals.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gun is on armslist, I've heard good and bad. I left a voice mail asking that he call me. Hopefully it will work out.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you do send a Money Order, make it a Postal Money Order. If things go south, you now have mail Fraud and FBI has to investigate all mail fraud. Im with the others here, NO money ever sent to a PO box. That just sends up a red flag.

If your a bit uneasy about the whole thing, request that the rifle be sent from an FFL when shipped. It may be an extra $25 or $30 on your end but its a nice security. He will have to turn the gun over to a shop and let them deal with the transfer.

Hayden.

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
To buy a gun other than FTF, I need a certain level of comfort. I recently bought a gun that way and everything worked out great. But I probably passed on a half dozen others in the meantime because of a below par comfort level. I have also heard problems with Armslist, so I would proceed with caution.

Bill

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some great advice form everyone. Many thanks !!!!! Seller wanted me to do paypal. ???? (Nope it will be a USPO money order)
Hopefully he will call me back today if not I'll just wait for the right rifle to come up for sale on this forum.

I'm going to have to update my old bag phone so I can get them there up-dates that T-roy and Russel 45-70 have talked about.

Off to work, once again I want to thank everbody for the advice given
Jay

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you do send a Money Order, make it a Postal Money Order. If things go south, you now have mail Fraud and FBI has to investigate all mail fraud. Im with the others here, NO money ever sent to a PO box. That just sends up a red flag.

If your a bit uneasy about the whole thing, request that the rifle be sent from an FFL when shipped. It may be an extra $25 or $30 on your end but its a nice security. He will have to turn the gun over to a shop and let them deal with the transfer.

Hayden.
Only thing to add is to send the USPS M/O by Priority Mail to have a record of delivery, just in case a fraud investigation becomes necessary. Receiving post office will also have a record of person renting the box, so you should be OK (but can't hurt to be cautious!)
Oh yes...and ALL FFLs will require a copy of D/L for their record book.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Not sure where you are seeing this on Armslist...

I just looked at the "Vermont" page, and I see only one 336, and that is in .30-30...

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I don't know that FAX machines offer any security either. Being that the seller is in NH and the buyer is in Ohio, the receiving FFL should handle the transaction. Payment might be sent via PayPal. I wouldn't send a money order to a PO Box number either.

All these hassles are the reason I ony deal face to face within my own state. We don't need to use an FFL to sell a long gun, we only need an FFL for hand guns.

Mike T.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts