Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read all these posts about finding that cherry marlin lever action rifle in the LGS. I live in the Midwest and travel pretty much the entire state as my job requires. I seek out all mom and pop gun shops and pawn shop's in the area and take a minute to visit. Never no old Marlins and occasionally a new one or two. Seems like the eastern part of the United States has the honey pot for finding a marlin

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Probably regional. Winchesters are the most common in my area. Also a lot of midwest states were shotgun states so the rifles bought were bolt actions for those hunters that traveled to other states. The LGS I visited in Southern MN reflected that as it was a shotgun zone. Generally when I talked to lever users the Win 94 was considered the lever gun. One individual said Marlins were smoother and maybe a better rifle but the Winchester just carried nicer and felt better. I have seen Win collectors at auctions but few obvious Marlin collectors, unless the Marlins predate the 336. My father in law had an old 93 Marlin with a 26" barrel in 30-30 but I don't see many. The depression era old timers I had a chance to talk to were generally Win 94 or Savage 99 users. A few had Winchesters in older calibers. My grandfather worked in MN until about 1926 and had an 86 in 38-56. Also used to see a few of the old Remington semi autos but have not seen one of them in a long time. I now have a Mossberg 464 that looks like a 94 but has angle eject for scope. It has what appears to be rifling similar to the micro groove and weights less than my old 336 waffle top. Wish it had a better trigger pull and they can shove the lever safety but its still not a bad lever.

DEP

·
Super Moderator
14,099 Posts
Read all these posts about finding that cherry marlin lever action rifle in the LGS. I live in the Midwest and travel pretty much the entire state as my job requires. I seek out all mom and pop gun shops and pawn shop's in the area and take a minute to visit. Never no old Marlins and occasionally a new one or two. Seems like the eastern part of the United States has the honey pot for finding a marlin
I run across them from time to time down here in FLorida. I also own and buy the pre-safety years. I see most of the ones I run across in pawn shops where people have brought them in for cash. Very seldom do I see any in regular gun shops. It does happen but not often. I hit a half dozen shops over a 50 mile area a couple of times a month. Some times there is nothing new or interesting to me and then other times there will be several that catch my eye.

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
They get a few Marlins here but don't last long. Most lever rifles on the used racks are Winchesters.

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Local Pawn shop has a bunch of used Marlins.They are always there because his prices are ridiculous and no one buys them.He will not move a dime on price.

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Banned
619 Posts
Probably refional. Winchesters are the most common in my area. Also a lot of midwest states were shotgun states so the rifles bought were bolt actions for those hunters that traveled to other states. The LGS I visited in Southern MN reflected that as it was a shotgun zone. Generally when I talked to lever users the Win 94 was considered the lever gun. One individual said Marlins were smoother and maybe a better rifle but the Winchester just carried nicer and felt better. I have seen Win collectors at auctions but few obvious Marlin collectors, unless the Marlins predate the 336.
That's my feeling on it. I live in roughly the same area. I own and like Marlins, but my true love it the Winchester 94. Oddly enough the only 36/336 cartridge I don't own is the .30-30. I had one once but traded it in on something I don't remember what.

·
Registered
963 Posts
There's one LGS near me that has a number of older marlins in stock but that's mostly because their prices are too high. For the other LGS's around here, they rarely have any in the store or if they do the rifles are usually gone in less than a week.

I was in one of the shops the other day talking to one of the employees about what I like to look for and she was saying that they have someone that will come in and buy any older marlin 30-30 that comes in the shop door.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Marlins show up occasonally in this area, but either they don't last long, or are way overpriced. I have also come across quite a few "house brand" Marlins--30A, 30-30C, and J.C. Penney marked just to name a few. Don't sell those short, as one I bought would throw 4 out of 5 shots into 7/8 of an inch at 100 yards. My son has got that one now.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I run across them from time to time down here in FLorida. I also own and buy the pre-safety years. I see most of the ones I run across in pawn shops where people have brought them in for cash. Very seldom do I see any in regular gun shops. It does happen but not often. I hit a half dozen shops over a 50 mile area a couple of times a month. Some times there is nothing new or interesting to me and then other times there will be several that catch my eye.
I’m not too far from you...I need your list!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Local Pawn shop has a bunch of used Marlins.They are always there because his prices are ridiculous and no one buys them.He will not move a dime on price.
Yup got one of those guys near me. Very interesting to talk to, wealth of good info, but not gonna budge on price. Too bad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.