Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice Marlin 336 in 30-30 that I am thinking of having J.E.S. do a re-bore to 356 Win. My question to those that have had it done is to what load level do you reload too? What I mean is the 356W is rated at a higher pressure level than the 30-30. The Winchester was beefed up in the receiver to handle the higher pressure. Obviously the re-bored 336 is not made to handle the higher pressure so I assume you are loading down from max book loads. What do you think?
Thank you for your advice,
panam (previously tjmga)

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a Re-bored 356W that was a 30-30. The rifle is a 2002 336CS. I have no fear of the rifle blowing up if I use printed data from a reputable powder or bullet company. Start low and work your way up.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I have a rebored 30AS that I also had bobbed to 16.5”. I have shot factory loads and mid range reloads with 180 Speer bullets. I almost never make reloads at the max. data for many reasons, but mostly because I am looking for accuracy and max. loads are not usually the most accurate and also not needed for what I hunt.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I'm far from being an expert but it may depend on the year of manufacture of your Marlin.

In the end if you are not comfortable shooting 356W factory or factory equivalent handloads you could always opt for a rebore to 35-30 by JES.

·
Premium Member
10,521 Posts
336's and 336 ER's used the same barrel threads, and the components were Heat Treated to the same hardness specs.......
The key to a safe, capable 356 re-bore, would rest with having a bit of free bore at the front of the chamber, as the in the Marlin OEM chamber, and a very tight, well fitted headspace............

However, the 356 Winchester is NOT a cartridge that can or should be Hot Rodded above MAX SAAMI specs.........It's a very capable cartridge in its own right at any level............

I can't / won't comment on the types of rifling JES can perform, because I've never owned one, or spoken to him, but he's done a truckload of these re-bores, and I've never heard anything negative about them, and as you know........ Bad News travels fast on the internet.

Tom

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
An old time gunsmith and my reloading mentor when I was young used to say that rather than reload at or above the max. , buy a more powerful gun. I have read that the larger bolt face of the 356 over the 307 brass yield less bolt thrust thus not causing the problems you see in the 307. There was a gent on another site that talked extensively to Slim Iorg about this subject.

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably should have added I am only talking about load book loads, I am not asking about pushing a re-bored Marlin over book loads. I am thinking 220 gr bullets at 2300 f/s. Not 308 loads.
Thank you,
panam

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep in mind that when the .356Win came out (and I bought a NIB 336ER), the difference in velocity in it and the only(?) factory .358 Win load was very low. The factory specs were 200gr JFN in the .356 @ 2460 FPS and a 200gr SP(ST) in the .358 @ 2490 FPS. As already stated, the 336 was unchanged in the receiver and barrel for the 336ER/ .356. Now, the .307 was a tad different animal in the 336ER. It never was marketed and I believe only six were ever produced in .307. I'd figure that the fact that it was far too easy to load and fire .308 Factory stuff in the Marlin 336ER/.307 helped Marlin change their mind about that one... :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts