Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

What are you thinking about this load for the 45-70 in a Marlin Guide Gun?

Bullet: 350gr. Hornady
Case: WW
Powder: IMR-3031 – 61gr
Primer: fed. #215
OA: 2.55
Crimping whit the Ridding Crimp
Velocity is whit the Guide Gun 1,970f/s

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
I'm thinking where did you get the load information for developing such a load?

The maximum charge of any published load I have seen for the Marlin 1895, a 350 grain Hornady bullet and IMR 3031 is 56.8 grains. Which leads me to thinking further this guy is pushing it!

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Joe went there with the Hawk bullet, not the Hornady. My guess is that the Hawk 350 grain either has less bearing surface, is less obdurate because of its annealed pure copper jacket, or both.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
He did indeed, and it was a .025 thick jacket.I wonder where you draw the line in using 400 grain Speer load data out of Hodgdons for the Rem 405 or anyother comparible bullet?Length/Jacket thicknes/bearing surface etc etc or the 350 Hornady RN made for the .458 Win Mag with a thicker jacket than the 350 FN but Hornady claims you can use the Hogdons data for the FN....

Hummmmmm

Jayco

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
I guess one place to draw the line is never exceed the charge or velocity of a published maximum load particularly when substituting the specified bullet with a similar one of different manufacture.

·
Registered
28 Posts
arnstein said:
Hi Guys

What are you thinking about this load for the 45-70 in a Marlin Guide Gun?

Bullet: 350gr. Hornady
Case: WW
Powder: IMR-3031 – 61gr
Primer: fed. #215
OA: 2.55
Crimping whit the Ridding Crimp
Velocity is whit the Guide Gun 1,970f/s
Robert,
Fuer solche Ladungen muss man schon Oesi sein :lol: :lol:

I would not give that load a try in my gun. Sounds way beyond any published data...

Tom

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not me ! That sounds really risky and it might be the last time you ever reload anything.Think about it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
jackfish said:
I guess one place to draw the line is never exceed the charge or velocity of a published maximum load particularly when substituting the specified bullet with a similar one of different manufacture.
Jackfish just described one of my baseline rules. :wink:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Load sounds too hot.

Signs of overpressure in a Marlin action:

dimness of vision
loss of consciousness
profuse bleeding from the face and hands

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I'm thinking I'll let you try shooting it while I hide behind a brick wall.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Study the pressure differences in pressure tested data along with the velocity changes that accompany them and you'll see that the gains you make in velocity are accompanied by very significant increases in pressure - and for what? An extra 50 or even 150 fps is hardly a gain that will be noticable in 99% of circumstances.

direwolf said:
Signs of overpressure in a Marlin action:

dimness of vision
loss of consciousness
profuse bleeding from the face and hands
Do you suppose? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

..............Yes, I am starter than my gun; my gun has no brain. I am starter than my gun; my gun has no brain........... I am starter than my gun; my gun has no brain......... I am starter than my gun; my gun has no brain........... I am starter than my gun; my gun has no brain............. I am starter than my gun; my gun has no brain............ I am starter than my gun; my gun has no brain........... I am starter than my gun; my gun has no brain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Guys
Just now the answer
I develop this Load whit Quick-Load and my Chrony.
Back in Austria I give the Ammunition to a Pressure Lab. Test barrel = 24”

Data:
2,189 f/s
3,728 ft/lbs
46,326 PSI
The Pressure is too high.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts