Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do it and what were your results if you did? I know the the 35 is a 358 and the light pistol bullets pushed to to high a volicity could cause lead and copper fouling, just wondering if anyone had done it.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I do it all the time!!!

They're alot cheaper for plinking than the more expensive hunting loads!!!

I load the .357 125gr jhp!!! using 2400.. pretty accurate too!!!

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
158gr JSP with 35gr of RL-7 if you want to hunt with them, or same bullet with 25gr of RL-7 for fun.

Speer reloading manual #12 shows 33gr starting load and 37gr max for RL-7.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I tried mine with a couple grains unique. Didn't group worth a hoot. Haunt slugged the bore yet think mine is slightly oversize. Load up a few and try it. Can't hurt anything. And is fun

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about Varget and 140 Leverevers, any thoughts on that? I also have some 180 gr Hornady JHPs I think I'll work with for the wifie.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i use xtp 180gr. and 2400...i did find an accurate load.
wish i could find a cleaner burning powder.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
One of the projects on my to do list is play with some AA#7. I have heard some good things about it in reduced loads. Very similar burn rate to 2400, meters well from powder chargers and clean burning. I am thinking about 16 to 17 grains and a 158gr bullet should be about right. I'll be trying it soon.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
lilwoody said:
If memory severs me correct isn't Varget and 2400 near twins?
Not even close, Varget is a medium speed rifle powder and 2400 is a medium-slow pistol powder. 2400 is listed at number 54 on the relative burn rate chart and Varget is listed at number 99 in the Hodgdon 2011 annual manual. DP

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bad, I was thinking of W296 and H110 and Varget and IMR4320 that are the pistol, rifle powder that are near twins. I have seen 2400 refered to on boards and in the manuals, it is quite popular. I never load anything without refering to the manual first and sticking to rifle powder for rifle (Varget) and pistol powder for pistol (H110, Titegroup). After I get a crono I'll be venturing out into others if need be. Varget has given my very good results in the 30/30, 223, 308 and as good as factory for the 35 rem. The 110 has been working stellar for my magnum pistols and the tite group very well in 40 and 38 spl.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was doing that back in the late 60's early 70's for my Dad. I used a hand cast 158 semi wadcutter. He loved them for plinking.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
jkingrph said:
I was doing that back in the late 60's early 70's for my Dad. I used a hand cast 158 semi wadcutter. He loved them for plinking.
Interested in the load data, if you remember. And were they gas checked?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I use 158 gr. Rem softpoint with 30 gr Reloader #7 at just under 2000 fps, it hit close to point of aim from 25 to 100 yds and doesn't kick much. DON'T USE H110 OR 296!! They should only be used at full loads, they are particularly sensitive to pressure. 2400 works well and can be used a lower pressures. The Hornady manual #2 has loads for 125gr and 158 gr bullets, but you have to realize that some powders have been reformulated since then and some have been discontinued. Pistol bullets are relatively cheap & easier to come by. Some where in here I posted some of the loads from the Hornady 2nd Ed. manual.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am going to try 158 gr Lee TLSWC with Trailboss, if I can get the RCBS 200gr GC to shoot with a hot load. Next up is LVR after poor results with Varget.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts