Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to load some 125gr Sierra Spitzers for my NEF single shot 30/30 rifle.
I was wondering if anyone here might have any experience with that round.
I am interested with Accuracy not speed. Or both if fast is accurate.
Any suggestions?
RV

·
Registered
355 Posts
I haven't personally loaded any spitzers in 30-30s but I've heard of a few guys doing it. From what I've heard, they work great, and accuracy is sometimes better.

I'm like you. I like to experiment. I say grab a manual, find something close, and work up a load. It may not be nothing great, but then again, you might just find that perfect combo.

G

·
I shoot Hornady 130gr SSP Single Shot Pistol bullets in front of Reloder-7 in my Contender. The loads are from Speer manual.
It works real well in my 14" barrel on deer.

Have fun with that cal/rifle combo. It should be a dream to shoot reloads in. The .30-30 sits up and talks with pointed bullets. The SSP bullets from Hornady and others are made to expand relably at lower velocities, and might be the ticket for your rifle in .30-30 too. There are several other weights to choose from.

Have fun
Brent

·
Registered
422 Posts
I once reloaded Sierra 168 grain Match King HPBT bullets for my 30/30 336 Cowboy. I had to load them one at a time into the chamber due to their long length that would not cycle in the action at all. I had the bullets seated to be just off of the rifling. I thought they should shoot great as the Match King bullets are generally awesome shooters. I noticed no improvement in accuracy, group size wise at 100 and 200 yards as compared to 170 grain JSP flat points that I normally loaded in the 30/30. Over longer distances there might have been less drop and wind deflection but I really didn't have any use for shooting farther with such a combination so I gave up on the idea.

Don't take this in a negative way, you may get better results in your NEF. Especially if you plan on hunting with it. A spitzer soft nose hunting bullet may work just fine for you as every gun is different.

·
Registered
154 Posts
RV - It may be related: but we had very good results with 125gr PSPs (poorman's sierra spitzer) - found that they shot best with 90% loads, ie, the slower loads generated larger ES/SD's and as such shot less well; likewise the really fullhouse loads taxed the action's locking up and introduced another variable into the system, and shot less well.... but btwn 2400-2500fps they were a delight to shoot.

GLC - we found that the 168gr hpbt's in general need 2300+ fps from a 1:10 barrel to stabilize well, and from a 3030 1:12 about the best we could reliably see was 2250fps... leaving the spin rate 20-25% short of good stabilization, causing them to shoot, as you say: with no real improvement over a 170gr fn (which is designed to be stable at 1600fps with a 1:12 barrel). [just a thought: but if you have the extra time, you might develop a groupsize vs velocity graph from a 308 or 3006 for the 168 and see just how much spin (rpm) it needs to shoot well - our data says 160,000+ rpm.]

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts