Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day 450 Marlin reloaders. Had a bit of time at the reloading bench today and got to sorting out some brass. Measured both standard and short cases and found not a lot of difference in length. I've read posts here about machining dies to be able to factory crimp the short brass. Got to thinking and was wondering if i milled the necessary amount off a shell holder , would that work as opposed to shortening the die? What do ya think? cheers.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I’m very new to reloading 45/70 but I would think machining out the shell holder would not help because it still wouldn’t place your round in the right position in the die for a proper crimp. Seems that modifying the die would actually seat the round at the correct length inside the die. But I have no experience loading the gummy tip bullets.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more time i;ve had to think on this , i realise it cant work. i'll tuck my tail between my legs and go and have a beer instead of thinking too much!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know if it helps, but I use .44 Mag crimp dies for my .444 short brass. It takes a bit of care, but it works. Perhaps there's a .458 sized version you could try?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
There is not much material on shell holders. Maybe .060 to .100 inches so that probably would not help.
357 and 44 mag dies are used to crimp 38 special and 44 special. I do not see a reason your die could be shortened to handle both. Check with Hornady and see what they say. It would not with work Lee FCD but they will custom work for not that much.

Reactions: Boris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Boris.. I have gone to some lengths to avoid the short Hornady 450 brass, but if I had to use a mixture of long and short and was limited to using only one crimping die, say a Lee 45-70 F/C I would machine some material off the bottom of the die to get down low enough and maybe if I didn't want to mess around too much setting the die for the longer brass use a washed or something similar as a spacer for setting up.
I would be surprised if the Hornady 450M seating/ crimping die didn't accomodate both. Although it would be a PIA resettling between sizes.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I machined some spacers and took them over to the surface grinder. Ground them to the exact difference between 38 special and .357 mag. Worked like a charm.
Lee FCD would be hard to machine. You have 2 pieces to machine at once.

Reactions: TKM and Boris

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sent my die back to hornady and they fixed it

Reactions: Boris

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just saw tonight that Redding make a crimp die specifically for the short hornady 45/70 brass.
I rang LGS to place an order for one of these dies. Gets a phone call today telling me it may take 12 - 18 months to get one! Distributor told them that there has never been one of those dies in Australia !! Might go with the machining of a 45/70 die instead.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I rang LGS to place an order for one of these dies. Gets a phone call today telling me it may take 12 - 18 months to get one! Distributor told them that there has never been one of those dies in Australia !! Might go with the machining of a 45/70 die instead.
Well that’s a little much.
I think we can ship dies back and forth, can you just order from Midway?Redding Profile Crimp Die 45-70 Government FTX

1 - 13 of 13 Posts