Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I am new here so I will appologize if this has been covered before. I have a used .30-30 model 30AS. I have not hunted with this rifle, but have only shot it at the target range, loading one round at a time through the ejection port (range rules). I have never loaded it through the loading gate on the side of the receiver until the other day when I was out at a different shooting range. I was able to load one round only through the loading gate. The second round (factory ammo) got stuck about 3/4 of the way in. At first I thought there was a plug in the tubular magazine (like my shotgun). I disassembled the plug/spring from the tube and checked it out. It was clear and open. I am not sure what might cause this to happen. Would anyone out there be familiar with this problem?

Thank's in advance for your time and attention.

Iggy348

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, I have a bunch of Federal 150 gr flat point cartridges.

Is there an issue with the Leverevolution stuff? I have never used it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I checked the loading gate screw. It was tight. I losened it and retightened it again (I have no idea why). Still the same problem. I removed the bolt and cleaned and oiled things a bit. I removed the magazine spring and follower. The ammo went right in. I reinstalled the follower and spring. Back to the same problem. The brass (I made some dummy rounds with no primer/powder in them) is getting badly scratched up. It is getting pinched between the loading gate and the edge of the hole in the receiver where the ammo goes. It is almost like the loading gate will not open up wide enough. But, I doubt that is the actual problem. This is turning into a head scratcher.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I would suggest you remove the loading gate and take a look at it on the inside to see if it is hitting anything at all. Should be some marking.

First if the gate has anything under the mounting area that could cause it. Only thing I'm aware of that it could hit would be the lifter. Here is a cut out of the loading side of the action. While you have the gate out, smooth it up a little and the inside forward edge of the port that will eliminate the scratching. Dowel wrapped with 200 grit should do the job for you, use something around the size of the rounds body dia.

Okay I re read your post, sounds like the mag tube has a rust spot on the inside of the tube. Good possibility the former owner left one round in the tube for a long period of time, add in a few days afield and some nasty weather and you could get the problem your speaking of.

Remove the tube and use something like a 20ga shotgun brush and give it a good scrubbing. Kroil or some such penetrating oil may help, next a 50 cal bore brush with a 1/2 inch wide strip of Scotchbrite pad spiral wrapped around the brush does a good job of polishing.

Take a look at our Reference Library under disassemble and clean. There you will find a complete tear down and reassembly pictorial. Doing a complete tear down and clean sometime erases several eras of problems and aged lube and dirt your not aware of. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a similar problem with a 30as i just bought used and the problem happened to be sand in the action. Well it was actually gun powder, oil, and sand mixed together pretty nasty stuff and was making the internals hang up a bit. I would recommend a good complete disassembly and cleaning. By complete i mean remove all parts out of reciever...very simple to do there is some great information here on this website to help guide you through a compelte disassembly. Good Luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Swany. I will strip it down and go through the entire rifle tonight. I agree that a good cleaning on something that used to work (I assume) would most usually do it. I appreciate the help and the referenct to the disassembly link. Sometimes I am pretty good at sending springs across the room....

My sleeves are all rolled up... Now all Ineed is a pot of coffee.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got my rifle apart and cleaned it all up. I didn't see anything in there that was "Ah HA!" and I have not reassembled it yet as it got late on me. Can you tell me how to get to the reference library to find the clean and assembly stuff? I am not real good at learning softwear. I perfer a pen and paper. I am not sure I can get this back together with out some pictures. Lever Actions have always facinated me in a way. I mean I have been around them for 50 years but I never had one apart or knew anyone else who knew how either. Sort of a mystery, but I am learning a bunch here this week.

·
Contributing Member
11,645 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
SWANY,

I have my rifle all cleaned up and somewhat put back together. I stopped when I found that the hammer wants to rub on something the last 1/4 inch of travel. I looked at the sides of the happer and found wear marks. It looks like it has been rubbing on the trigger guard plate (gets pinched when the screw is tightened) and also on the bolt to a lesser degree. I stoned it a bit to increase the clearance, but ran out of time yesterday and had to go to bed. I will hit it again after work if I get time. Is this a common problem?

I printed out the booklet from the refrenece library telling how to clean and reassemble the receiver (got the link fro Eric's signature line). Seems like there were an awful lot of places in that booklet where filing, fitting, stoning, bending were made reference to. Was this book intended for the guys at the factory? Or was poor fitting a common thing for them? As I said this is my first time messing with a rifle like this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I got my rifle all cleaned up and back together. It loads like a champ now. I found a few places that needed to be smoothed out with my stone and I polished the heck out of everything I could find. I think cleaning the inside of the magazine tube did the trick.

Thanks for the help fellas. I learned a lot this week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try this video

hey bro,, try this youtube video. Be sure to watch part 1 & 2. It is the best video I have found to break down, tune and assemble the marlin 336 and 30AS.
If the link doesnt work go to youtube and search (Darian Cabot Marlin 336 30-30 disassemble and assemble) It helped me a great deal.
Well, I got my rifle apart and cleaned it all up. I didn't see anything in there that was "Ah HA!" and I have not reassembled it yet as it got late on me. Can you tell me how to get to the reference library to find the clean and assembly stuff? I am not real good at learning softwear. I perfer a pen and paper. I am not sure I can get this back together with out some pictures. Lever Actions have always facinated me in a way. I mean I have been around them for 50 years but I never had one apart or knew anyone else who knew how either. Sort of a mystery, but I am learning a bunch here this week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts