Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new here. I had a few questions and ideas about the lever evolution 160g ftx for the 30-30s. The 30-30 rcbs dies were designed for a round or flat nose bullet. When i load the leverevolutions it leaves a ring around the projectile approximately 9mm down from the tip. So this is effecting accuracy no doubt. I was wondering how you guys were avoiding this. I may pick up a set of 30-06 dies and Im guessing they would be designed for round nose or ballistic tip type ammo like the Leverevolutions. Just use the seater die to seat the projectile. Anyone doing it that way? I tried to search threads but no one has posted that I could find on this issue. My apologies if this was covered somewhere else.

·
Banned
619 Posts
  • I haven't loaded the 160 FTX or used RCBS dies with my .30-30, but I would be shocked if you could detect an accuracy difference at 100 yds. in a rigorous test when using some other seating die despite the ring. Just use your .30-30 seating die.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At 100 probably not enough to worry about.. At 300 probably more than an issue, for me anyway. If I can see it I want to shoot it. LOL I have an ATN Xsight 5x20 with ballistic calculator on it so yes 300 is well within my range. Even with Cor lokts.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I have RCBS dies and a Lee 4 die set. Have the same problem with my RCBS dies but no problem with the Lee set. The ladder load set showed that as I reached near max loads with Lvr powder the more accurate my loads were. Several other threads I have read seem to agree with my findings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts