Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 1895 GBL 45-70. I have shot it once, about 45 rounds of various ammo. Shoots great. Only issue is the loading gate is so stiff and tight, it shaves a bit of skin off my thumb
with every round I push all the way in it! The last round, when I push it all the way down and in, the gate pinches my thumb so tight it peels off some bit of thumbnail and/or cuticle. Is this normal? Does this just have to wear in ? Gonna loose a lota meat this way!
Is there an easy way to lessen the spring tension on the gate?
Any help you can offer will surely be appreciated.
Thanks, Robert

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Easy fix!!!

The loading gate only needs to return against the inside of the receiver after loading...

The spring is just the flat length of metal that runs along the inside of the receiver to the screw towards the rear of the loading gate port..

The easiest way to ease the tension of the loading gate spring is to open the action half way, remove the lever screw, slide the lever out of the bottom of the receiver, slide the bolt rearward out of the way but no need to remove it..

Stick your pinky finger down through the ejection port and hold against the rear part of the spring near the screw and with your other hand use your thumb to push the gate in against the finger to bend it to the desired tension..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mainecat that is a wicked awsome tip. My 308mx was super stiff and has only become sweet over the last few boxes of ammo. This tip is definitly getting filed away for the next marlin purchased!

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
That's a great tip, my mate has the same problem, I will be sure to let him know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts