Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several boxes of .357 bullets for reloading. Will the standard seating die work for the soft FTX bullet tip? I'm using Lee dies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The .357 FTX bullets tended to deform when I tried a standard seating die. I ended up using an extra seating die for .35 Remington that I had. I reamed out the very edge of it with a counter sink bit so it fit a bit better. Now it works good and does not deform or leave rings in the bullets when I seat them.
Tom

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
BRI336 said:
I have several boxes of .357 bullets for reloading. Will the standard seating die work for the soft FTX bullet tip? I'm using Lee dies.
There's a special seating punch needed, Hornady can furnish one for their dies, not sure if they charge or not. I had to get one custom made by RCBS for my die set, they have a special order catalog that you can get that explains the procedure. Took a couple of weeks, I had to send in some bullets(they were shipped back, too). The punch I got back is basically just a beveled hollow tube that bears on the outer edge of the ogive. It works and doesn't bugger the tips like the punch for the round noses did. If you have any sort of a lathe, it'd be easy to make. You'd have to contact Lee to see if they'd make a custom punch for you. They'll do that for some types of their equipment, not for others. You may have to buy another make of seating die. The stock seating punches are non-starters for FTX bullets.

Stan S.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I use Redding Dies, and when I encountered this problem with my 30-30, Redding sent me free of charge another seater plug made for this type of bullet. I have extra Seating dies all pre-set: one for 170 Gr. Cast and the other for the FTX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I relod with Dillon SQD and are to reworke a roundtop tool to fit the bullet and drille a bigger hole fore clerance to the softpoint. 250 g Hornyday FXT.

Anyone have loaded 250 g FXT in 45 LC? I wonder aboute retrimming the brass so it will be right overall leight.

Good shooting from Sweden

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Stormweden said:
I relod with Dillon SQD and are to reworke a roundtop tool to fit the bullet and drille a bigger hole fore clerance to the softpoint. 250 g Hornyday FXT.

Anyone have loaded 250 g FXT in 45 LC? I wonder aboute retrimming the brass so it will be right overall leight.

Good shooting from Sweden
The approach I took on the .44 was to alter the carrier for the extra-long loaded round. I bought a second carrier and did the alteration on it so I still had the original. The round isn't SAAMI standard length anymore, but it does feed through the action like it was greased. Saves having two sets of brass, too long and too short, depending on what I'd be loading. The carrier casting is a mite hard, kind of chewed up my file. You just need to file the "notch" at the rear where the case head stops back towards the pivot the needed amount. Make up some dummy cartridges with the FTXes so you can check functioning.

Stan S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts