Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased 20 brass 12 gauge shot shells from Bertram Brass. I am going to load up some loads using black powder. Does anyone know if the primer pocket is meant to be used with large pistol or large rifle primers?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I just purchased 20 brass 12 gauge shot shells from Bertram Brass. I am going to load up some loads using black powder. Does anyone know if the primer pocket is meant to be used with large pistol or large rifle primers?
Give Mike at Flintlocks Inc a call for wads if you don't have them. He makes some very good wads in just about every size from 6 to .410. 317-933-3441, no web site I know of. I had some loaded with shot cups and the plastic melted to the bore. Came out like snakeskin when I cleaned.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Steve is absolutely right on the plastic wads. Stay away if you don't want melted plastic in the barrel.
This is what I use.
Black Powder (the real stuff) 60g measured in a homemade measure made from1/2 inch CPVC pipe
Nitro Card, seat with wooded dowel of about bore size and hand pressure.
1 1/2 brown fiber wads, just tear one in half with fingers. Also seated with wood dowel.
7/8 oz shot
Over shot card wad held in with silicon or waterglass.

A trick for good patterns is a balanced load, same volume of powder and shot. This load has worked well for me when I was shooting Cowboy Action, throws about 5 feet of flame from my double.
CF

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
throws about 5 feet of flame from my double.
Sounds like a line from a Marty Robbins song, SHORTY His short barreled bad forty four sent 17 inches of flame:biggrin: I have never been off to the side when I fire my 10 bore but you could probably use it as a flash.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Large rifle and large pistol are not interchangeable, same diameter but different heights. May work or may not. Use the one recommended and don't look back.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I Used to Load Brass .410 Cartridges for a Slug Gun.
Here's a Good Web Site to get Wads, etc for Brass BP Cartridge.
They Have Quite a Selection. Prices are Good Too.
Nitro Cards, Overshot Cards, and Filler Wads at Ballistic Products, Inc.
Here's another one. A Little Higher Priced, But Not Much.
Wads | Shop Wads at Buffalo Arms
Also Here are a Few Sites w/ Info on BP Shotgun Shell Loading.
Shot shell loading
Tell me about brass shotshells
Black Powder Shotgun Shells
Hope this Helps.
UncleSarge58

1 - 8 of 8 Posts