Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
MO member Shenandoah makes some great wood blocks if he's still producing them and can send them to Germany.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Find a local cabinet shop/ carpenter or the like with a drill press and some scrap short 2x lumber and work a trade , barter or some other type of deal maybe some adult beverage for trade goods.

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
MO member Shenandoah makes some great wood blocks if he's still producing them and can send them to Germany.
Yepper, I can attest to that and they are great. Here are a few photos of some of mine in use that I received from him - great workmanship.

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
Why not make your own!

Davep
Good point, in the past (30 years ago) I did just that and they worked great. That being said I no longer have the time to spend on those projects, I need to spend my time napping and reloading. That is why I bought mine. Great workmanship, great price!

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Bought mine from Buffalo Arms Co, great loading block and they keep ample stock on hand.

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Thinking of making my own, what kind of a bit am I looking for? Does it have a name? I'd guess I'd need something several thousandths wider than the rim of the 45-70. I've got some plastic Midway trays, but they only hold 45, and it always screws with my head. They're supposed to hold 50!

Reactions: GrondHamar

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
PapaJohn,

Best is a bit that leaves mostly a flat bottom, although the typical twist drill does work.

A "spade" bit or I believe it is called a Forstner would leave a mostly flat bottom to the hole.

The spade bit would likely leave a ragged edge to the top of the hole.

I recently made a loading block for a friend, and even with having a piece of plywood held tightly to the top of the block I had some tearing of the wood. This was with a common twist drill.

As I recall, the Forstner type bit, cuts the fibers (as long as it is sharp) at the edge of the hole and would help to prevent the tearing.

A 1/2" is about right for a .45acp, and a 5/8" is good for a 45/70.

The deeper the better, as long as a person can get a good solid grip on the case when moving it from the block to the press.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Yepper, I can attest to that and they are great. Here are a few photos of some of mine in use that I received from him - great workmanship.

1895gunner
Nice lookin blocks N bullets, BUT LORD how do you find anything on that Messy Loadin Bench!:questionmark: :flute: :marchmellow:

Geez I Don't even remember what the Top of my bench looks like :ahhhhh: :flute::biggrin:

BloodGroove4570 :tee:

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
Nice lookin blocks N bullets, BUT LORD how do you find anything on that Messy Loadin Bench!:questionmark: :flute: :marchmellow:

Geez I Don't even remember what the Top of my bench looks like :ahhhhh: :flute::biggrin:

BloodGroove4570 :tee:
Ray, I have two eight foot benches in an L shape so I have plenty of room. :biggrin: My stock of primers, powder, bullets & brass are on a three piece, six foot high Wall unit just to the right of the bench. It stays fairly neat since I focus on one cartridge at a time in the cheapest Lee press ($27.00) made. I enjoy the process that way. In a prior life I used a progressive press but this time around I decided to "enjoy" each step of a load. Heck actually when I started up this time I started with a Lee hand press for the 444 & 45-70's. I was loading in my recliner while the wife was watching TV. That and some black coffee was almost heaven. Then our daughter got married, moved out and the Man Cave was born. I almost didn't know how to react having such a large room on the second floor with a huge window looking out over the ranch property. Ah, I could go on and on about that room. Heck I was going to build a reloading bench out of pine and oak and the wife wouldn't have it. She looked online for a few days until she found the ones I have and she said, Here go look at these, see if you like em and if you do buy a couple.

I laid my cash down that evening. She never has to tell me twice to spend money on my hobby. :flute:

1895gunner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.