Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my 336 30-30 for a couple of weeks and am not liking it as much as I hoped. First, the recoil problem, as mentioned in a separate post. Put a pad on and that pretty much solved the problem of a sore shoulder.

Another issue is loading the gun. Pushing the cartridges in is literally a pain. They don't always "seat" properly but instead of have to be pushed in by the succeeding bullet until full. Then, unless I apply a lot of pressure, I have to use something, like a spent shell, to push the final bullet in. I don't like pushing bullets in by using other bullets because even though the risk is very tiny it seems to me that one might press to hard and ignite the primer while loading! Is there any easier way to safely and more efficiently load the 336?

·
Registered
59 Posts
You will not set off a round loading the gun, don't worry! Most of us leave the rim of the cartridge exposed without letting the gate close with every shell, then push the last one in with your thumb. It takes a little getting used to if you aren't that familiar with lever guns.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
I had this problem with a 336C I once owned... I removed the loading spring and with a diamond flat file, removed material from the back side of the spring .005" at a time until I was able to feed cartridges in the rifle without undue pressure. Thinning the spring reduces pressure required to feed the ammo. I ended up removing .010" of material... I've also found in comparing loading springs with a micrometer that there was up to .025" difference between 5 of them... I don't have the specs with me but could post them later when I get home... Another way to thin it would be to lay a sheet of 1000 grit wet and dry on a sheet of 1/2" glass, pour some kerosene on it and polish the backside of the loading spring that way...

Thin it too much and it will break during loading, so take off as little as you can...

I did cold blue the backside of the spring when I was done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will not set off a round loading the gun, don't worry! Most of us leave the rim of the cartridge exposed without letting the gate close with every shell, then push the last one in with your thumb. It takes a little getting used to if you aren't that familiar with lever guns.
You're right. It's my first lever and I am used to the ease and familiarity of bolt-actions, which I prefer.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I will be honest, when I hear issues with the loading gate, it mean you have a rifle that has not experience enough rounds through it.

Which 336 do you have trouble with recoil? My 30/30 has essentially has no recoil. My 35 remember is just b early noticeable. I had patch Mier pads placed on my 444 and 45/70. Still neither rifle is bad when it comes to recoil.

Both theses rifles require you shoot them often. If I am going to the range for some plinking fun with 444 or 45/70, I reload rounds that have an fps of 1125 and a 300 gr.bullet. That really calms the felt recoil from the two rifles. For a hunting load, I use a 310gr. bullet with a 1325fsp. Very comfortable an lethal for any game in lower 48 states.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
You're right. It's my first lever and I am used to the ease and familiarity of bolt-actions, which I prefer.

Saw your concerns Laying Rum.....I too am a 'former' bolt man......I too have felt the 'strength' of the 30-30 and the challenge with the loading gate. First.....I would say....the lever gun is a great carry and shoot hunting gun with a nice quick f/u on prey. Bolt is a little slower on f/u but is easier when used at the bench. Compare the kick of a 30-06 bolt and a 30-30.....I think you'll like the 30-30 afterwards. Also....put a nice pad on for comfort. Also.....how short is your barrel....mine is 16" which does increase noise and maybe 'apparent kick'. Lastly....another trick I've heard....place a spent shell half ways in the loading gait overnight.....may make the gate a little 'easier'......

Just some thoughts from another newbie to lever 30-30 from bolt.

Reactions: etexoldguy

·
Registered
700 Posts
If the recoil on a .30-30 is bothering you that much, I suspect you either are not putting the butt on your shoulder properly or are firing cross body as many .22 shooter do. Either that or this is your first experience with a caliber larger than .223. Bring the muzzle more to perpendicular to your torso so your body mass is taking the recoil more than just your shoulder joint and make sure you are not flinching away from the rifle as you break on the trigger. A .30-30 Marlin is mild.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Laying Rum it's ok to leave the case rim sticking out and pushing it in with the tip of another round. No problem and much easier.

Most guns just need a breaking in! Going at something with files and tools is ok to a certain point but go too much and down the road you may regret it.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I'd have to try it to know for sure if something was wrong, but I've had new rifles before that the loading/gate were a little stiff/difficult at first but seemed to iron themselves out after some use. Some of this may come down to technique on loading the rounds perhaps if you're new to lever rifles? If it doesn't get any easier, then maybe you can try as previously mentioned above on the spring etc., but I've never had to do that myself. Good luck to you.

Reactions: etexoldguy

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Since they hold 7 rounds most feel that by cracky they are going to have to load them full. I load up to 3 in the magazine and one in the pipe when I hunt with one. Unless you are in some form of competition or defending against hostiles (read an article once called "the 94 the original assault rifle") there is no need to to carry any more in the magazine than in a bolt gun. When I used to hunt with another group we would sometimes have to load and unload to go to different areas and a full magazine was a PITA to load and unload. Also, the extra pressure of filling the magazine flattens out bullet tips. Ask yourself if you really need to fill the magazine. In my area some sonsidered it a sign of a tenderfoot.

DEP

·
Registered
363 Posts
Another issue is loading the gun. Pushing the cartridges in is literally a pain.
I hear ya' re: loading the magazine on these things. I used to pinch the **** out of myself as a kid when loading mine and getting my flesh caught between the receiver and the loading gate. Still, loading it wasn't something this once 11 year old boy couldn't do.

Mine got easier over time, and over time, I stopped loading the thing fully, anyhow. It was a lot easier to stuff three rounds in the tube than six, for one thing. I also pretty quickly figured out that the rifle grouped better with a partially loaded magazine than it did shooting through a full one. As a kid, I was at a loss to understand why it should matter, but didn't fret over it much as the wherefore and why of the thing didn't matter as much as the results did. It didn't vertically string shots as much with a half-loaded magazine as a full one.

I still find the thing a bit difficult to load at times, even after using it for 38 years. I have arthritis, though......

One of the reasons that I mostly shoot handloads with Hornady FTX bullets out of mine is that they just "snick snick" in to the magazine tube. I guess the ogive of the bullet helps line things up or something. I dunno... All I know is that for me, they are significantly easier to load through the gate and if that were the only benefit they offered to me, that alone would be significant enough to keep me using them.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
If the recoil on a .30-30 is bothering you that much, I suspect you either are not putting the butt on your shoulder properly or are firing cross body as many .22 shooter do. Either that or this is your first experience with a caliber larger than .223. Bring the muzzle more to perpendicular to your torso so your body mass is taking the recoil more than just your shoulder joint and make sure you are not flinching away from the rifle as you break on the trigger. A .30-30 Marlin is mild.
+1.

Pull the rifle snugly to "socket" just inside the ball of your shoulder. Get a good solid cheek weld. Keep your eyes wide open, and when you squeeze the trigger, don't flinch.

·
Registered
504 Posts
...Which 336 do you have trouble with recoil? My 30/30 has essentially has no recoil. My 35 remember is just b early noticeable. I had patch Mier pads placed on my 444 and 45/70. Still neither rifle is bad when it comes to recoil....
some people really feel the recoil from a 30/30. m,y cousin is a big truck driver, and I remember him complaining. me, they don't bother. different strokes for different folks, I guess.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
336 in 30-30 ....... what recoil?
Kicks like a .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really don't mind the recoil. I expected worse. I figure men always want to shoot the gun that kicks the hardest and women complain about how hard it kicks. :flute:

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
Since they hold 7 rounds most feel that by cracky they are going to have to load them full. I load up to 3 in the magazine and one in the pipe when I hunt with one. Unless you are in some form of competition or defending against hostiles (read an article once called "the 94 the original assault rifle") there is no need to to carry any more in the magazine than in a bolt gun. When I used to hunt with another group we would sometimes have to load and unload to go to different areas and a full magazine was a PITA to load and unload. Also, the extra pressure of filling the magazine flattens out bullet tips. Ask yourself if you really need to fill the magazine. In my area some sonsidered it a sign of a tenderfoot.

DEP
I learned hunting in central Alaska to carry more than the rifle's max load. Inexperienced hunters carried what they "thought" they needed. I still do that to this very day--I am hopefully prepared for the worst--just in case.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Let me have it a few months. I will get some 30-30 dies, shoot a couple hundred stout handloads through it, the action will slick up, and you will love it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts