Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,661 Posts
Some say a fully loaded magazine can set the spring leading to failure to feed. Then there are stories of 1911 mags, being put away fully loaded for 40 years and working fine. I look at it this way - Would you store a 3/4 ton truck fully loaded down? Me, personally, for a gun that is not my primary defense weapon I relieve the spring load by 20% for handy guns (not emergencies). ( approx 8 rounds in a 10 round mag).

AC

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
My 336 30-30 1970 and 39A 1966 are loaded year round. Does not cause any problems.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Would you store a 3/4 ton truck fully loaded down?
Fire Trucks, Ambulance, RV's, Service trucks, to name a few are fully loaded all the time.

"Cycling" a spring weakens it, leaving it compressed is negligible.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
My 336 30-30 1970 and 39A 1966 are loaded year round. Does not cause any problems.
Fire Trucks, Ambulance, RV's, Service trucks, to name a few are fully loaded all the time.

"Cycling" a spring weakens it, leaving it compressed is negligible.
Yup. This...

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
One could always load half the mag and keep the chamber empty. In an emergency you would still have several rounds available instantly, and if required could top it up in a few seconds. Maybe even have a stock pocket thingy with some loose rounds on the gun itself.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Compression is not what wears out springs. Repeated compression and release is what does it.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Okay I'll bring out my Tool and Die lore.

Spring steel does not fade under pressure, it fades under over stretching extending ect. I do this on purpose to Marlin trigger return springs to weaken them for reduced trigger pull.

Compressing a mag spring will only collapse it upon itself, which does not over work it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.