Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to find a load for my 99 that uses 150 grain bullets, specifically Barnes TTSX, and LEVERevolution. I have not, as yet, found anything online for these two in combination for .300 Savage.

Any thoughts? Anyone worked up anything for these bullets and this powder, or possibly something similar?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
i have been using and loading for a 300 sav. sense i was a boy. the best powder i have ever used is varget with imr4064 on it's heals. a wile back i bought a can of levereverlotion or what ever you call it? i don't care for it, its to snappy and the accuracy did not impress me. if you were close by i would give it to you. the varget in my 48 years of handloading experience is the best rifle powder to come along in my lifetime.

·
Super Moderator
23,560 Posts
I use 40.5grs in a 30-30 Ackley.(with a 150) I would think this would be a good
starting point in a 300 Savage. They are real close in case capacity.
Might cut it back to 40 and go from there.
Depends on how long them bullets are...some of those copper bullets seat way
deeper than a normal bullet does in the case.
On a 99 they may need to seat deeper than they were intended to
on something else...all this has to be considered.
You can always pick up the horn and call Hogdon.

I like Varget on a 300 Savage too.

Reactions: Vooch

·
Super Moderator
23,560 Posts
i have been using and loading for a 300 sav. sense i was a boy. the best powder i have ever used is varget with imr4064 on it's heals. a wile back i bought a can of levereverlotion or what ever you call it? i don't care for it, its to snappy and the accuracy did not impress me. if you were close by i would give it to you. the varget in my 48 years of handloading experience is the best rifle powder to come along in my lifetime.

Don't want to drift into a sound-off on how great Varget is,
But I whole-heartedly agree with you here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts