Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
Hogdon's information is fine, but like all things, there is variation amongst firearms. That's why we work up loads. Start 10% down and work up. Rel. 7 is a favorite of the fast crowd, as is H4198. I use H322 also for my higher velocity stuff. Much less sensitivity to temperatures than 3031 and of course Rel. 7. I would guess your deer load for your 350gr. bullet would work great for elk anyway...

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
You start 10 percent below max and work up. I don't have rel 7 data but it is around. I am also certain you could get at least 2000fps in your guide gun.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
This will come to play particularly in the 45-70 when different companies have loads to different pressures. They also define a trapdoor/Levergun/Ruger#1 differently. Don't get rattled. Look at the pressures, OALs, and particularly the powder. I mistook H4198 for IMR4198. I was OK (seeing as the one I choose was slower), but wouldn't have been OK the other way around.

The more sources you check, the more knowledge you will glean. Stay with what is comfortable and don't try to break any records.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
Real Guns has Rel. 7 maxed out at 53.5gr. with Remington brass (primer?) and the Hornady 350flat nose. That'll take you to the netherworld. Perhaps 47gr. from Lyman would be enough? You'll have to decide. I know many fellows using the 51.5gr. Remington is the smaller capacity brass which is important. Starline is marginally larger and Winchester is the largest capacity. Something else to think about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.