Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I'm Posting in the right section since this is for my 45-70.

I'm going to be ordering some if these and need some load recommendations.

I will be using Starlin brass, imr3031, Remington 91/2 primers.

This will be for deer and hogs.

Can you lodmasters help me out?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Do you realize they are just now finishing up orders that were placed late last October and starting on early November orders? It will be a while but you might already know that. I am now waiting for more BTB's I ordered on the 11th of November which they said might be a few weeks yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys...I didn't know they were catching up.

Thanks.

I hear such good talk about those bullets. Any other cast bullet makers that has some available for my purposes.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I will check my load notes when I get home, I use H322 and IMR-3031

Doc

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
I am loading 42 gr. 3031 with Beartooth .425 gr. Very comfortable, mild load and good accuracy.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Do you realize they are just now finishing up orders that were placed late last October and starting on early November orders? It will be a while but you might already know that. I am now waiting for more BTB's I ordered on the 11th of November which they said might be a few weeks yet.
My order arrived on Wednesday! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I placed an order on Dec. 20th and haven't heard from them since. May be a while yet, but I'm confident that it'll be worth the wait. Using Oregon Trail Lazer Cast 405 and 350's until they get here.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
BJM,

It was some time in the fall, I will check when I get into the office tomorrow. It is not on my receipt.

Sean

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
Those 425's were top of the list for my favorite bullets with the .45/70 Marlin. Great accuracy! I loaded them over Marshal Stanton's recommended H322 loads.

POWERFUL. And accurate. I ended up going a couple of grains less than his max level loads, as those top loads were pretty brutal on the shoulder.

Guy

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I went from 42 to 45gr of IMR-3031, 45gr was in the 1600fps so I backed off a bit since I didnt want it that high... but for the life of me I cant find the actual notes as to where I stopped. I dont know what powder I liked better for accuracy... H322 or IMR-3031 They were both awesome.

Doc

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Great bullet overall. I use Marshall's recommended H322 load with a CCI BR2 primer. I found that this load really benefits from an annealed case. Starline brass is thick and relatively hard. Spinning that bruiser out the barrel at 1700 fps would still leave the telltale carbon streaks on the outside of the brass. Annealing cured it and tightened up the chronograph numbers and accuracy even more.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Those 425's were top of the list for my favorite bullets with the .45/70 Marlin. Great accuracy! I loaded them over Marshal Stanton's recommended H322 loads.

POWERFUL. And accurate. I ended up going a couple of grains less than his max level loads, as those top loads were pretty brutal on the shoulder.

Guy
I reduced my load from Marshall's recommendation. I use 46 grains of H-322 with Starline brass and Winchester large rifle primers. Has thump but recoil heavy but not bad. Very accurate. My elk load.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Guys,
I hope you realize our very own Doc Holliday casts some fantastic 435gr. bullets.
Shoot him a PM, you won't be disappointed.
Sorry Doc, I know you don't toot your own horn, but I will.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I went from 42 to 45gr of IMR-3031, 45gr was in the 1600fps so I backed off a bit since I didnt want it that high... but for the life of me I cant find the actual notes as to where I stopped. I dont know what powder I liked better for accuracy... H322 or IMR-3031 They were both awesome.
Doc
Checked my notes and loaded home cast bullets in the same weight range with the exact same results - 42.5gr of IMR 3031 WLR Primer, Starline Brass is on my list of lowest SD, highest accuracy loads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts