Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for good data for a M1A i have a scout squad that is new and new to me any help would be great

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Mister 270,

Most of the guys around here use the 147 gr FMJ ("pulled"/surplus), with 45 gr BLC II. (the 150 gr Remington PSP works well, also).

Small base sizing die, and trim to just under minimum (for reliable function).

Bear in mind, after loading #5, the brass will be fit for "bolt rifle" use.....only. (unless you want to get real familiar with the broken case extractor) LOL.

Later, Mark

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have a broken case extractor but i guess i will have to get one .my first try was with a reloader 15, 150 gr nosler ballistic tip and mil cases they worked ok they were not to hot as far as i could tell i have a little H 4895 some IMR 4064 and a little IMR 3031 so i have some stuff to try

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
mister 270 I was thinking of maybe at the first of the year of getting a M1A scout squad myself. And I was wondering did you get the black composite stock plus how does it handle. Yea talk to wife and she ask if I could wait until after Christmas since they go for over a 1400

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Take a look at the Hornady reloading manual... they have 'service rifle' loads for the 7.62mm round (as well as 5.56mm) and would be a good place to start.

There are basically 2 loads for the M1a series rifles... an M-80 equivalent, any 150grn'ish FMJ or ballistic tip over a standard load of IMR4895 (or something close in the burning rate neighborhood) or a heavier BTHP bullet (168 to 180grn) like the Nosler Custom Competition or Sierra Match King (SMK.) I've seen some odd powders used with those loads, particularly the match shooters, but you can easily load those bullets over, again, a reasonable charge of IMR4895 or similar.

General rule of thumb for the M1a is choose a powder between IMR3031 (faster) and IMR4064 (slower) burn rates and you shouldn't get into trouble.

Personally, my M-80 equivalent is 43.5grn IMR4895 under a Prvi 145grn FMJ in LC brass. I'm working on a standard load for the Nosler CC 168grn BTHP... using the 3 IMR's (4064, 3031 and 4895) and LC cases for my Socom16... the short barrel presents some problems with choosing a proper powder, the shorter barrel seems to favor IMR3031 and IMR4895 over the slower burning IMR4064, but YMMV with your slightly longer Scout barrel.

Brass life will suffer in the violent action of the M1a... don't count on more than 5 reloads out of your brass, maybe less.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
mjadams61

i have around 70 some rounds threw mine i am very happy with mine so far mine is a walnut stocked rifle with stock sights i paid 1550.00 for mine ,if i was to buy another one or two they would be a scout squad with camo synthetic stock and the best value of all the Springfield armory rifles is the loaded model that would be a great rifle also.

charlie98

i have that manual already it the no 9 i also have the no 8 witch also has the service rifle section they are a great source of info but i was fishing for other info you never know what you will get if you ask i am new to the M1A so i am trying to get all the info i can get was a little worried about gas port pressure problems so i was looking for info on that to thank you for posting and i will take all the info i can get thanks again

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
in my garand i always used imr 4895 and a 168 sierra mk or a sierra 165 bthp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts