Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hepburn rear receiver sight on order for a 1893 marlin.
My receiver is tapped but I am wondering if the holes are drilled far enough forward for the sight to work. Does anyone know the spacing from the rear of the receiver to the center of the first hole?
Looking at pictures of the hepburn sight it seems to have the peep extending past the rear of the sight body. I am wondering if my sight holes are drilled far enough forward to mount the sight correctly.
thanks
Fiddletick :?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The rear hole is approximately 3/4" from where the flat top breaks over. The spacing is 1 1/8" between holes, just like the tang sight spacing.
Where did you find a Hepburn receiver sight? Is it an original, or one of the LARC repros?
(Wrong, the spacing is 7/8" between holes)-mm93

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good Luck and bad Luck

The sight is original and only 1 of 4 found by my source in 20 years.
Now the bad news the first hole on my receiver is 3/8" approx from the back of the receiver. I wonder, if the hole posistions are not correct anyway, should go ahead and retap in the correct position and cover
the wrong holes up.
Fiddlestick
Ps My old gunsight book says the spacing is 7/8" same as the sight I have on order.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
DOH! Sorry about that! I just measured my 1893 .38-55, and you're right! It is 7/8" spacing.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
What a great find! I take it your 1893 must be an early one, if it wasn't factory drilled and tapped for a Hepburn sight? Those sights are soooo hard to find! I have one that came on my 1894, .44-40, and one repro that I bought from LARC, just because he's a friend, and I wanted one of his sights.
You didn't happen to get that sight from Gary Fellers did you? He's had a couple over the years, but usually they went about $250-$300, and that's been awhile ago!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts