Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made me this walking cane about a week ago. Used a old bleached out shed I found.Rodents had worked on it pretty good.But used part of it for the handle.The end cap is a Rodert E Lee commerative coin. Came out decent and very strong.Gunrunner,,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I'll take one of those walking sticks if you're taking orders. :)

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Nice stuff Randy. I made a gun cabinet a few years back for my son for Christmas that has whitetail door handles. I have also made a lot of necklaces with pieces of whitetail antlers hanging from a leather string. I wear one almost everyday. Here is the cabinet ...

bjm

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bigjeepman,all I can say is WOW! that sure is something.Wished I could do stuff like that. I am wanting a picnic table made out of cedar planks that we cut awhile back. It will have a iron frame.Ive done the antler handle on the barn and on the door of the skybox. A 4x6 foot stand me and mike had, that was 14 foot to the floor.It had curtains and even a bird house on it ;D Got the 17 foot 6x6s out of a old cotton mill,for the legs. I had a lot of work in it and at least 700 bucks.the legs were cemented 3 foot in the ground. Dad said I should brace it with cable, in case of high winds.I thought it was strong enough.It wasnt ;D lasted two years, then a big wind tore it all to pieces.Remember Dad driving up while I was cleaning it up,just shook his head and said dont leave no nails for me to run over ,and drove off ;D But between me and mike we had killed 11 deer out of it. 5 good bucks. Now we have a tripod back there ;) No nails ;) Gunrunner

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
bigjeepman said:
Nice stuff Randy. I made a gun cabinet a few years back for my son for Christmas that has whitetail door handles. I have also made a lot of necklaces with pieces of whitetail antlers hanging from a leather string. I wear one almost everyday. Here is the cabinet ...

bjm
That is truly amazing. I can't even cut a board straight let alone begin to build something like that.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Thanks guys. For years before I moved out west and left all of my tools back in the Midwest, I built all kinds of things, did woodburnings, etc. I have been wanting to do a thread on my pretty easy to build gun cleaning box.

bjm

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know Halwg, Heck, Just take my stuff off! Im ashamed of it now ;D ;D think Ill just toss it all in the back yard and start a fire ;D All kidding aside ,the Man did well, But theres one suggestion I could make. bigjeepman, you could cut the crowns off two antlers, and make the pulls for the bottom doors.Just a thought, And lord knows you know more than me.Again, thats one heck of a fine job. OK, Im going to out to start a fire now ;D Gunrunner,,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I like your idea Randy but my son wanted the antler set off of his first whitetail for door handles so I couldn't or wouldn't cut them up. I like your stuff a lot Randy and I will need a walking stick when I hit the hiking trails this spring as my health, etc has changed. I will hike all I can but I feel I will need a little help this year.

I really like your "pulls" too and am trying to think how I can use your ideas.

bjm

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shoot Man, Ill send ya the tools. Thats part of what I do. Dont waste that talent.Probably enough on here to keep ya in work ;) Tell ya what,Ill swap ya tools for product ;) Randy,,

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
gunrunner said:
How tall are you Doug??
3' 4" They say I'm really short for my size ;D ;D ;).

I'll start a thread in the next couple of days as it will take me a while to get together stuff for pictures.

bjm

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im making this one for my Girlfriends brother.I went to school,played high school ball,and even boxed against him. Well I guess since I asked her to marry me last night,shes not a girlfriend anymore. Been single 9 yrs Doug. Anyway,It mite take me awhile,because Im only home on the weekends, but Id be proud to make one for ya.You just tell me if you want a cane or a hiking staff.And what your fav big game animal is.Like to know that one of my buds on here is out trampsing in the wilds with something I made.But you being that short,I think a hammer handle might would work ;D Randy,,

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
gunrunner said:
Im making this one for my Girlfriends brother.I went to school,played high school ball,and even boxed against him. Well I guess since I asked her to marry me last night,shes not a girlfriend anymore. Been single 9 yrs Doug. Anyway,It mite take me awhile,because Im only home on the weekends, but Id be proud to make one for ya.You just tell me if you want a cane or a hiking staff.And what your fav big game animal is.Like to know that one of my buds on here is out trampsing in the wilds with something I made.But you being that short,I think a hammer handle might would work ;D Randy,,
Randy ... you're engaged???? You need to start a new thread my friend ... this is news :eek: ;D. This should be on Sportscenter as one of the Top Ten Plays of the Day. Congratulations!

I'd be honored to hike with a hiking stick my buddy made. I am 5'11" tall.

bjm

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Hey Randy, if you need more .358 Win brass or the .35 Whelen, let me know! I'll even send it with the correct head
stamp on it this time!!!!!!LOL Let me know! I would even swing for some nickel .35 Whelen if you could make me one or two!

I don't know whether I can believe Halwg on the "can't cut a board straight", cause anybody as smart and edumacated as he is gotta know how to use a saw!! Me on the other hand, I measure it four times and still cut the
board too short.

BJM, very nice gun cabinet you made. I'm envious of everyone's talents on MO and really disgusted with my lack thereof! Oh well, I can cook and shoot pretty straight, so all is not lost!LOL

358 Win

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bob,Id be glad to make ya how ever many you want brother. Nickle would be sharp,but you pick what you want,and what bullet you want on it.Debs sending that package wensday,to you,for me.Ill leave out tomorrow night. Say you can cook?? Maybe one day, you can make me one of them fancy souffles, Ive heard tell of ;D ;D bigjeepman,your right, I should put it up, But what section? I might not look too confident, putting it in the prayer section ;D ;D Ill pm ya when I get ready to start on it.Thinking cedar or hickory might be better for a hiking staff.But Ill talk to ya before hand. Thanks for the kind words. Randy,,

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Like the stuff you're doing Randy! and bjm that cabinet is cool! John

1 - 20 of 147 Posts