Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine gives me a stiff lever and sticky ejection with Remington Golden Bullets. It likes just about everything else. Winchester Super X and Federal copper plated bulk, (550 pack), are the best. All are accurate. But with that said my 39-A is not scoped.

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Nice looking 39A billt! Thanks for the pic. Mine, a 1976, fires and seems to like everything I put through her. And did I say she's a tack driver? Gotta love those 39A's.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My 39a was made in 1969 and I've put everything you can imagine down the barrel. Never had any trouble with any ammo. Have always shot LR ammo, however, so I can't speak to shorts or longs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of people don't realize the Marlin 39-A takes a while to break in because it's made from all forged steel parts, and no Aluminum. I've got several thousand rounds through mine, and only now am I feeling that "butter smooth" action feel. It shot really nice when it was new, but much better now. I'm guessing some of the newer Marlin 39-A's might take even longer.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
My 1956 shoots anything I feed it and isn't particular about the order. I've loaded it with short, long, and LR interleaved in the mag tube. The report was the only difference I could tell. Pretty much every brand you could think of has been pushed through it as well.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Haven't found any ammo that our four 39s don't shoot at least reasonably well, bulk or match. The 39 just isn't that fussy, compared to some our bolt guns and, especially, our semi-autos. That's a big plus for the 39, given the current, buy what you can find situation. Back during the worst of the 22 ammo crunch, all we could find was 22 Shorts, so we shot those, too.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Yeah, mine is a Pig...it eats everything.

Reactions: Chris don

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
For accuracy standard and high speed 40gr are best, does best with Federal and Winchester. Opens up a bit with the various lighter weight hyper speed loads.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Haven't found anything yet that mine won't shoot. Have shot mostly cheap bulk ammo. Mine was made in the early 80's. Have even shot some aguila colibre through it in the house haha. Its quieter that my pellet rifle with those.

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
Mine shoots them all as does my Henry Golden Boy. Like North Country gal said semi-auto is a hole different game. Great looking 39 I love the wood on your rifle.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My 39a loves to eat all kinds of ammo! Unfortunatly my rifle is gettin kinda skinny here lately since the ammo is so hard to find! Thinkin about starting a campaign called "please help feed the hungry Marlin". Hey...it's worth a shot! :)

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
1947 39a.Eats anything.Never a problem. image.jpg

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Blazer and Remington. A no go with mine. Blazer doesn't give me the accuracy, remington sometimes takes a couple of hammers to fire.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
My 1967 Model 39 has eaten everything I ever ran through it, shorts, longs, long rifle regardless of brand. The only failures it ever had was once long ago when I let my older brother shoot it and he told me the rifle wouldn't fire. He handed it to me and I cranked a round into the chamber, hit the bang switch with no problems. I fired a couple more rounds , loaded the tube, cranked a round into it and let the hammer down. I told him all he had to do was pull the hammer back and fire. I went back to where I was shooting and hearing a bang figured everything was good. He hollers back at me and says it won't fire. Back I go, repeat my previous exercise and hand it back to him. He cranks the lever and then I see the problem. The spent cartridge ejected on the down stoke and then I saw a live round fall to the ground as he closed the lever. I looked over at the spot where he'd been shooting and there was a pile of .22 cartridges on the ground.
He's left handed and would lay the rifle over on it's side to cycle the lever. I told him to cycle another round and watch the ground as he did. He figured it out for himself; that he had to keep the rifle oriented in a vertical position. After that he burned up a lot of my ammo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts