Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a *lightweight*, yet strong cantilever scope mount for a 30mm scope with a bit of extra height. For an AR-10 .308Win/7.62x51mm and for AR 15 5.56 use. Scope is SightMark Rapid AR Series, 5-20x40 SCR-308 (30mm tube diameter) it's not exactly a tiny scope.

Everything I see is 7+ ounces or more, except for Aero Precisions extra lightweint model at @ 4 oz. Anyone got one ? Happy with it?

And other 8-9 oz. cantilever mount is a bit much isn't it ?

Am I missing others ? Suggestions? Will I come out lighter with just some high scope rings ?

What say Ye ?

·
Premium Member
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone ??

·
Premium Member
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to stay as light as possible because of flash suppressor I am using (JP Enterprises), but don't one so light it won't hold a .308 recoil/somewhat combat treatment. I'm not well learned on optics and mounts ...yet.

I was unsure what "lightweight" and *too lightweight* might would be as far as actually holding the scope securely. I sorta like the Aero Precision superlightweight, but think I need one that raises the scope a tad higher.

School me.

·
Premium Member
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a Burris PEPR. I figure as heavy as my AR10 is 5oz of aluminum won’t matter.
what is the measurement from receiver top to scope crosshair centerline on Burris PEPR?? I'd like at least 1.5". A tad more wouldnt hurt. I'm having trouble finding a 'tall one" that's not 8 oz.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't know if this will help, MarlinManCB45/70, but here is a height calculator that may be of some use.

Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator

As far as weight, my AR-10 variant was over 10.5 pounds empty to start with, and my scope was most of 2 pounds, the rifle was a beast anyway, so I went with strength and reliability. I went with a Badger Ordinance cantilever mount, which was probably heavier than what you are looking for, but I knew it would stay put, and it is one of the few mounts I have purchased that did not need lapping.
Don't know what your objective lens diameter is, but you may want to give yourself just a bit extra height as it is possible on a AR type rifle to actually get the scope to low as compared to a traditional stocked rifle. YMMV. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
don't know if this will help, marlinmancb45/70, but here is a height calculator that may be of some use.

scope ring height and clearance calculator

as far as weight, my ar-10 variant was over 10.5 pounds empty to start with, and my scope was most of 2 pounds, the rifle was a beast anyway, so i went with strength and reliability. I went with a badger ordinance cantilever mount, which was probably heavier than what you are looking for, but i knew it would stay put, and it is one of the few mounts i have purchased that did not need lapping.
Don't know what your objective lens diameter is, but you may want to give yourself just a bit extra height as it is possible on a ar type rifle to actually get the scope to low as compared to a traditional stocked rifle. Ymmv. Good luck.
thank you !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts