Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a backpacking gun. I have a 336 30-30 that I'm having the barrel cut down to 16 inches. I am looking at replacing the stock with a synthetic, but have not found many options on that road. Plus I don't know if I like the look of the black with the blued... (couldn't find a cheap SS... )

So I am looking for ways to lighten up the gun even more if possible. I have seen that SASR and several Varmit configs with the stocks that have huge chunks taken out of them. I was thinking about this and wondering if it is at all possible? Just looking for options... I think it might look kinda cool and original too.. Let me know you advice and opinions...

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
482 Posts
One option would be to drill out a big chunk of the buttstock. Dad had an Auto 5 once that was a lighter weight version that had a large cavity in the buttstock. I'm not sure how much you can remove before making too weak. Might be a good idea to find an old and ugly buttstock to try this on then either repeat on the good one or refinish the ugly one.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I might carve out the inside of a birch buttstock - that would maintain the shape for handling without noticable compromising strength, but it wouldn't reduce the weight all that much. Most of the other stuff on the rifle needs to be there, I think.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I'm with Zuiko on this one, I tried the same thing with old Mausers years ago, hollowing out the buttstock and removing what I could to make a good pack rifle. Frankly, taking wood out of the back end ruined the balance, there's just only so much you can do. You could try thinning the buttstock and forestock, and seeing if there's anything metal you can do without, but the rifle is pretty basic to begin with, not a lot of stuff you can take off without ruining something else. If you really need a lighter gun, I'd look into an 1894 in 44 Mag or something similar. My 1894SS wears a dinky little 2X scope in a Scout mount, it carries like a dream, and still has enough thump for most tasks. A few friends have built identical guns, after shooting mine!

PJ

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Chad I bought a packaged 336 Synthetic Stock set new on ebay for something around $50. If you want to try it would sell it to you for $45 and I will pay shipping. This is new in package, couldn't get my self to put it on one of my Marlins.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Frances E. Sell had something to say on the topic of lightweight rifles in his book The Deer Hunter's Guide (1964, the Stackpole Co.).

My classic example of incorrect gun weight occurred when hunting with a very experienced woodsman.... This particular day he carried a Savage, model 99, lever action--excellent selection for deer hunting....

But, beyond this, he decided to do something about the weight of his rifle which checked in at 7 1/4 pounds, 22-inch barrel, 300 Savage caliber. He had a gunsmith turn the barrel down. He worked the forearm over to remove a few additional ounces. He hollowed out the stock. Finished, his rifle weighed just short of 6 pounds, trailside....

[The day of the hunt is described.]

... even as I cought the brilliant color of his jacket through the autumn woods, I heard his shots crash out against the morning stillness. One, two, three. Then I heard some earnest cursing...some mumblings and self incriminating growlings.

When I arrived, my scarlet-coated friend was sitting on a log regarding his smartly tailored rifle. "Just missed the biggest buck I have seen during the past five years," he said. "Couldn't hold on him with this light contraption, not after coming up winded out of that brushy canyon."

I nodded my agreement. For I, too, had essentially walked the same trail one time, making up a light rifle--too light--and finding its short comings the hard way: with a big buck before me. Mine, however, was a light, 20-inch barreled .30/30, model 54. It, like his Savage, had all the emphasis on portability. In the clutch, and again like his customized Savage, it proved to be very inaccurate--as much so as if I had used a heavy target rifle for the touch and go of deer shooting. (pp. 14-15)

Just food for thought.

Ol' Frances Sell is always a good read and full of thoughts worth considering.

As far as I would go would be to shorten the magazine tube to about the end of the forearm, hollow the stock from the butt to remove the same amount of weight taken from the magazine, and rig a good set of iron sights (no scope). I wouldn't shorten the barrel because of the resulting loss in MV and to preserve the original sight radius for accuracy. Loaded and with a light 1" carrying strap it should end up at about 7 lbs.(?).

...but life is a "cut and try affair" so enjoy trying whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I would like to add that this gun will probably hardly be used for hunting. It will be more of a carry along for "protection" when I'm backpacking. I know, I know, why don't I just carry a handgun. I really feel that I would rather carry a rifle. Plus, I already have the 30-30, and it needs lots of help. So I wanted to try this project. But keep the comments and help coming. You guys are great!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
chad1043 said:
I'm putting together a backpacking gun. I have a 336 30-30 that I'm having the barrel cut down to 16 inches. I am looking at replacing the stock with a synthetic, but have not found many options on that road. Plus I don't know if I like the look of the black with the blued... (couldn't find a cheap SS... )

So I am looking for ways to lighten up the gun even more if possible. I have seen that SASR and several Varmit configs with the stocks that have huge chunks taken out of them. I was thinking about this and wondering if it is at all possible? Just looking for options... I think it might look kinda cool and original too.. Let me know you advice and opinions...

Thanks,
Chad
Hey Chad,

Is this what you are looking for:

http://www.wildwestguns.com/Bushwacker/bushwacker.html

Mad

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mad,
Kinda, but not really... Plus, I didn't think you could have a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16 inches?

Chad

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Here in Michigan it requires a paperwork to call it a pistol, after the work is done you take it down and register it as a handgun. Much like using a pistol grip stock on a shot gun and hunting with it. Used to be you could not have a rifle without it being 35.5 inches overall length. Kind of moot when you think about a contender with a 14"bbl in 30-30.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

you could try and copy the 336Y configuration. Shorten the barrel down to 16" and shorten the length of pull buy about an inch. It should weigh closer to 6 lb. and be easier to carry around with the shorther length.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I love light, short rifles, and my 1894SS is the apple of my eye, but there comes a point where it becomes a matter of diminishing returns. I love the Remington Model 7, but I like a gun that hangs well for the shot, and some of these Buggy-whip barrels just don't balance right. If I owned a Model 7, I'd scope it, put on a good sling, and be happy with a weight of seven pounds or a little more. Anyone can shoot a light gun well off the bench, but being able to shoot well offhand with a light gun is downright HARD. Especially after chasing that buck up Heartbreak Ridge, all trembly, out-of-breath, and adrenalinized. Gimme something with a little weight up front! Otherwise that buck is in no more danger than if I was throwing rocks at 100 yards. Light weight is nice, but it's a trade-off once you get below a certain level. I'll stick with my Marlins as they are, each are good at specific things, and I love them for what they are - useful. To each his own........my "Light" gun is an 1894 in 44 Mag that weighs 6.4 pounds all up, with a 2X Scout Scope. I don't need to lighten the gun any more than that, I need to work out more!

Papajohn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts