Marlin Firearms Forum banner

661 - 668 of 668 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I'm interested in the GT Bullets and before I order a box I should slug my barrel. I know that I should use a soft lead slug and push it through the bore to be sure of the bore's diameter. Now for a 444s bore and a 308 express or 336 - 30-30 what do you use to slug these bores? There isn't a walk-in a gunsmith in my location to do this for me. So it's DIY for me. I have Hornady 50 cal. ML ball I can trim down or can I purchase the slugs I need?

PS. This is on the internet think I'll go with it.
Slug Your Barrel - Meister Bullets – Full line of hard cast lead cowboy and ISPC/IDPA bullets, new brass, cartridges, black powder SPG lead bullets, reloading supplies, hard swaged lead bullets, shooting supplies, T-shirts, hats and patches
Okay I called Meister Bullets and their bore slug kits are for pistol but the slugs can be used and then person caution me that the slug might get stuck and I may have a problem getting the slug out. This does not sound good and just might put this idea on back burner for a while.
Any personal experience slugging a rifle barrel andhow did you do it?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I use a hardwood dowel that is slightly smaller than the bore and pure lead sinkers. The size of sinkers I use for different calibers is not in my head any more but if you have one the is slightly larger it should be an easy job if you remember to oil the bore.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I started handloading about 1972 using a .30-30 Lee Loader. The little cardboard loading sheet included loads for bullets in the 110gr-125gr range. So I began loading 110gr hollowpoints and Sierra 125gr spitzers. I had a Winchester 94 and could only insert two cartridges at a time, one up the spout and one in the magazine.

The 125gr Sierra bullet was extremely accurate, amazingly so. I'm talking cloverleaves. If you ask for the load all I can tell you is one Lee Loader measure of the powder listed on the load sheet.

The 110gr hollowpoints were meh. I wanted to see how much they expanded. So I shot one into a gigantic California palm tree in the backyard with the intention of digging the bullet out. But it went all the way through, more than 3' of palm trunk, and ended up sideways 1/4" deep in a wooden fence behind the tree. The recovered bullet had rifling etched on it but was otherwise pristine. There was zero expansion. I could have loaded it up and shot it again.

If you don't mind being restricted to two rounds you really should try that 125gr Sierra spitzer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use the 70gr Speer semi- spitzer in 223 Rem. my rifle is the Rem. 788 of course it has a box magazine. I'm curious where you got the 30 cal sabots to hold .224" bullets. Are they old new sock or new?

I purchased the 30 caliber plastic sabots online on gunbroker. I think I paid $12 for 100. They are fine to use with 223 or 224 dia bullets. I shot 4 different test loads each using 45gr hornet bullets then the 70gr speer semi spitzers. I did load them single shot to be safe.
The accuracy results were horrible. My best 3 shot groups were 8 to 12 inches at 100 yds. This was benchrest shooting my 336 with a leupold 10x scope. I have given up on the 30-30 sabot idea !

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I purchased the 30 caliber plastic sabots online on gunbroker. I think I paid $12 for 100. They are fine to use with 223 or 224 dia bullets. I shot 4 different test loads each using 45gr hornet bullets then the 70gr speer semi spitzers. I did load them single shot to be safe.
The accuracy results were horrible. My best 3 shot groups were 8 to 12 inches at 100 yds. This was benchrest shooting my 336 with a leupold 10x scope. I have given up on the 30-30 sabot idea !
I remember when factory load were being sold in 3030 and other cartridges too. I don;t think I saw them on the market long. My best guess is they were a flop. So inaccuracy wasn't you or rifle but at least now you know.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You have to remember the twist of the barrel you are shooting the sabots out of. Marlin used a 1:10" twist for .30-30 and Winchester used 1:12". It's no surprise you got lousy groups shooting 70gr .224 bullets through those. Bullets of 50gr-55gr are more appropriate for .30-30 sabots. That's why the original Remington .30-30 Accelerator was loaded with 55gr bullets.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
You have to remember the twist of the barrel you are shooting the sabots out of. Marlin used a 1:10" twist for .30-30 and Winchester used 1:12". It's no surprise you got lousy groups shooting 70gr .224 bullets through those. Bullets of 50gr-55gr are more appropriate for .30-30 sabots. That's why the original Remington .30-30 Accelerator was loaded with 55gr bullets.
Sound right to me too. But just how accurate were they?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Sound right to me too. But just how accurate were they?
I never hand-loaded any. But I did try some of the Remington .30-30 Accelerators in a Winchester 94 and the .308 Accelerators in a Browning BLR. Accuracy was about the same as I got shooting standard factory ammo, just as advertised. But shooting them was just a novelty. I didn't have any practical reason to shoot .22 bullets from those rifles. I'm not a varmint hunter. I never finished shooting up either box.

661 - 668 of 668 Posts