Marlin Firearms Forum banner

641 - 660 of 668 Posts

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
I ordered some 115 grain HP .311 bullets from GT Bullets last fall and they finally arrived. I am looking for a low powered load for my 1967 Winchester 30-30 with a 26” barrel. Looking for a reasonably accurate 25 to 50 yard load.

Does anyone here have a favorite load for this bullet? I will be trying Trail Boss and Unique for the first batchs. With Trail Boss it looks to me like a 5.5 or 6 grain load would be a good place to start. With Unique I was thinking of starting with a 7.5 grain load.

Any thoughts or experience with this bullet?
I've had good results with 8gr Trail Boss with pretty good groups at 50yds. HTH

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
as far as the 115 gr GT bullet (you didn't say gas checked or not ... I don't remember their offerings), but I'd say your 7.5 gr of Unique may do what you want, but I wouldn't be surprised if the sweet spot wasn't closer to 8.5 gr.

Yep, GT advertised the long wait two days after I made my last order the first part of November (way too small an order considering the wait) I didn't get that paltry order of 500 until March. So far, I've become a big fan of GT LHP bullets in .357 mag, .44 mag and 30-30 Win. I should just suck it up and order at least a thousand of each and prepare for the long wait. Current problem is there ain't even that many primers "available".

jd

Reactions: Gareth Holland

·
Registered
88 Posts
as far as the 115 gr GT bullet (you didn't say gas checked or not ... I don't remember their offerings), but I'd say your 7.5 gr of Unique may do what you want, but I wouldn't be surprised if the sweet spot wasn't closer to 8.5 gr.

Yep, GT advertised the long wait two days after I made my last order the first part of November (way too small an order considering the wait) I didn't get that paltry order of 500 until March. So far, I've become a big fan of GT LHP bullets in .357 mag, .44 mag and 30-30 Win. I should just suck it up and order at least a thousand of each and prepare for the long wait. Current problem is there ain't even that many primers "available".

jd
No gas checks on these bullets. They look to be very well made and the packing was excellent. I ordered in late November and they arrived a couple of weeks ago. I have a thousand of them, but given the long wait times I should probably order another 1000 ASAP. I might try some of their 357s as well.

Which 357s did you get? Are you shooting them out of a revolver or a lever gun?

Thanks for the load suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
No gas checks on these bullets. They look to be very well made and the packing was excellent. I ordered in late November and they arrived a couple of weeks ago. I have a thousand of them, but given the long wait times I should probably order another 1000 ASAP. I might try some of their 357s as well.

Which 357s did you get? Are you shooting them out of a revolver or a lever gun?

Thanks for the load suggestions.
A couple of years ago when I first ordered the GT .357 bullets, I got both 145 gr and 165 gr. (LHP) and both shot the same poa/poi ... and as accurate as any .357 bullet I've ever used. After that first batch I happily settled on the 165 gr g/c bullet seated deep to the forward crimp groove, using either A-2400 or AA#9. I shoot them mostly in a 16" Rossi R92, but occasionally in a 3" Ruger SP-101. They do well in both.

jd

Reactions: Gareth Holland

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Can you guys lead me to the GT website? From what you said, I'm interested in checking them out! TIA

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, after reading this thread for about 12 years I neglected to realize the importance of having a neck expander die. Mine should be here early next week. As for now, everything is on hold. Should have some range results from the first group on loads soon after that.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
pardon me for possibly repeating myself...I've got both the Lee flaring die and the RCBS 30/30 cowboy die set the come with .309 expander/flaring die. Both have helped me greatly over the years. HTH

·
Registered
88 Posts
pardon me for possibly repeating myself...I've got both the Lee flaring die and the RCBS 30/30 cowboy die set the come with .309 expander/flaring die. Both have helped me greatly over the years. HTH
I ordered the Lee die, but I should have have the RCBS cowboy die somewhere. We moved last fall and while I know where it was in the old house, it has not surfaced yet in the new one. Just one more excuse to finish unpacking...

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
I ordered the Lee die, but I should have have the RCBS cowboy die somewhere. We moved last fall and while I know where it was in the old house, it has not surfaced yet in the new one. Just one more excuse to finish unpacking...
Know EXACTLY what you mean, pretty much the same thing here, except I can't find all my bullets!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'd like to discuss light weight bullets for .30-30s.

Appropriately, most discussion of ammo for 336 (and relatives) focuses on 150, 160 and 170 gr rnds. I occasionally run across references to 180.

But I'm also curious about light weight .30-30 bullets: 125, 110, 100, 85 and even 55 gr rnds (!)
mentioned in this article, "The .30-30: A Historic Overview" by 30 WCF.

Here are some things I'd like to read, plus what ever else you want to throw in about lighter .30-30 bullets:

• your experiences with light .30-30 rnds, including target shooting, plinking, hunting, etc;
    for example, what have you used or how would you use light rnds in your .30-30 especially other than just paper punching;
  • links to pages with discussions and data about lighter .30-30 bullets, including history of their development and use
  • ballistics, accuracy, behavior, quirks, pros and cons of lighter rnds relative to more contemporary heavy rnds
  • reloading potentials
  • other stuff about lighter .30-30 rnds

I thought about starting this thread in reloading/handloading, but this seems broader than just handloading alone.
___

Some background about my motivations for this thread other than just intellectual curiosity.

As you'll find from other threads, my goal is a gun kit with only a few rifles (I have my reasons and will discuss them if asked, but I've explained them elsehwere and it's not really relevant here), most to all levers, that cover a LOT of ground in terms of game and protection. (Don't listen to PapaJohn, who will try to convince you - incorrectly - that I'm seeking one gun for all that, which I'm not. ::) )

My "bottom end" rifle - in the sense of small game - squirrel, rabbit, bird - is my 39. Nuff 'said.

My my "middle ground" is currently covered by two guns: 1894C in .357 mag/.38 spl and 336 in .30-30.

I recently came close to selling my 336. I had convinced myself that with the 39 and 1894C, I was covered from bird up to whitetail at close ranges, and was thinking of replacing the .30-30 with something larger that would cover white tail to, say moose and even big bear. I'm still considering .45-70 and .338 ME for that "top niche".

But then, in a fit of rationality and self-slapping, I realized that getting rid of my beloved 336 was just plain stoopid. If anything, the 1894C will go. (Raises shields to maximum power to guard against photon torpedoes being fired by PJ from coastal MO. 8) )

I amplanning to cut the 336 barrel down (discussed over here) to somewhere between 16.5 and 18" for use as general camp carbine suitable for faster, short-range (sub 150 m) shooting in thicker woodlands and woods (dense thickets, like here in the temperate "rain forests" of the Pac NW, now in a decade-long drought) and for SD (the shorter the barrel, the fast I can deploy it).

And it's the latteruses that motivates my question: there are times around camp when I'm not looking to take a deer when I'd rather notuse up those (increasingly) valuable 150 - 180 gr rnds best kept for medium to large game, but would rather have some loads in the tube (and nearby, maybe on a butt stock or pack pocket) suitable for smaller game, maybe even a rabbit AND good enough as a "tactical" carbine for two-legged camp intruders with malicious intentions.
The only light bullets I have ever used were the Hornady 130 spire points. I used to reload these for use in a Savage 340 bolt gun when I had it. I deer hunted with these many years ago. Killed a large doe with a single shot. They were very effective on deer size game. After selling the 340 I acquired a Win 94 and use up what remaining rounds I had. I would single load these through the action. My 94 fired them with no issues. I also had acquired some 123 grain FMJ's meant for reloading ammo for an AK 7.62x39. Probably sized .311. Loaded a bunch of these although, not at a maximum charge. Fired some of these through my 94, again with no issues. My main objective in using light bullets in a 30 30, was to gain more velocity, range, and flatter trajectory, when I had my Savage 340. It was the only deer rifle I owned at that time. I would go into a hunting camp with hunters sporting Remington 700's, Winchester 70's and Weatherby's. I showed up with a Savage 340. I killed deer, some of those guy's didn't, and they had bigger guns. As for shortening the barrel on a 336, me personally I wouldn't. I like to get as much velocity out of a round as I can safely get. But it's your rifle, you do what you think works best for you're situation. The 30 30 is a very effective hunting round contrary to what some people might think. Good luck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have just started experimenting with Sabot Loads for use in my 336 20 inch bbl and a 336A with the longer 24 inch bbl. Way back in about 1979 -1980 i shot several boxes of the Remington Accelorator ammo .
I think back then, Remington was loading around a 45 to 50 gr bullet in their single offering.

We can now THANK the AR shooters for the explosion in .22 caliber bullets on the HEAVY SIDE. By this I mean
65 gr up to 90 gr bullets that I have seen come available.
Well, I have 100 sabots and have loaded 45 gr Hornet bullets....which have a rounded nose........and Also some 70gr Speer semi- spitzers.....which also have a rounded nose.......... I am looking for a load that is accurate to 100 yds, ( maybe 2 in circle ? )....Dosen't blow up small game ....and is safe to stack in a tube magazine. The sabot loading data I have shows velocities easily up to 3700 - 3900 fps in a 30-30. Wow.....i don't need anything THAT fast...I am hoping to find a sweet spot for accuracy in the 2600- 3000 range

Sadly it has been raining all week here in Texas, so as soon as my sunshine returns, the chrono will get set up and. 20210523_170024.jpg 20210523_170116.jpg gunpowder will start to burn !

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I have just started experimenting with Sabot Loads for use in my 336 20 inch bbl and a 336A with the longer 24 inch bbl. Way back in about 1979 -1980 i shot several boxes of the Remington Accelorator ammo .
I think back then, Remington was loading around a 45 to 50 gr bullet in their single offering.

We can now THANK the AR shooters for the explosion in .22 caliber bullets on the HEAVY SIDE. By this I mean
65 gr up to 90 gr bullets that I have seen come available.
Well, I have 100 sabots and have loaded 45 gr Hornet bullets....which have a rounded nose........and Also some 70gr Speer semi- spitzers.....which also have a rounded nose.......... I am looking for a load that is accurate to 100 yds, ( maybe 2 in circle ? )....Dosen't blow up small game ....and is safe to stack in a tube magazine. The sabot loading data I have shows velocities easily up to 3700 - 3900 fps in a 30-30. Wow.....i don't need anything THAT fast...I am hoping to find a sweet spot for accuracy in the 2600- 3000 range

Sadly it has been raining all week here in Texas, so as soon as my sunshine returns, the chrono will get set up and. View attachment 847668 View attachment 847669 gunpowder will start to burn !
I have read that round nose bullets can also cause a round to detonation in tube magazine rifles. It makes sense to me because if the tip of the RN bullet is up against the primer and not touching the case the recoil could still push the bullet in far enough to set off the primer.

This is where I read it.
Hornady offer both the 200 grain FTX and 200 grain round nose bullet designs. As previously discussed, Winchester maintain that there is a risk of detonation in tube magazine rifles if using round nose bullets. Regardless of warnings, the 200 grain Hornady round nose Interlock is often used in the .356. For those who wish to use this bullet in a safer manner, the tip of the Interlock can be flattened off with a few strokes of a file with no resulting change in aerodynamic performance. The Hornady bullet has at times been accused of being too stout for lighter medium game however this bullet is extremely soft. It must be understood that slow kills with this bullet or the PowerPoint or Sierra Prohunter are as a result of low velocity. If any of these bullets are loaded slow or used at too greater ranges without care towards shot placement then yes, slow kills can occur. Such results cannot be blamed on bullet design.

This the whole article
.356 Winchester (ballisticstudies.com)

I think that the .224" round nose against a LR primer would have no problem detonation in tube magazine rifles. Just my thoughts.

Well I know I'm going to have feedback on this, but let it come.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can defineatly be correct, especially since the .224 bullets Im trying with the Sabots are Round Nose, but , the nose itself is very small. These noses are smaller than the primer face.
I should try the ....file it off gently to make a FN.
Thanks for your input. Alot to think about.
If w

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
You can defineatly be correct, especially since the .224 bullets Im trying with the Sabots are Round Nose, but , the nose itself is very small. These noses are smaller than the primer face.
I should try the ....file it off gently to make a FN.
Thanks for your input. Alot to think about.
If w
I use the 70gr Speer semi- spitzer in 223 Rem. my rifle is the Rem. 788 of course it has a box magazine. I'm curious where you got the 30 cal sabots to hold .224" bullets. Are they old new sock or new?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Any thoughts or experience with this bullet?
None with that particular bullet but I shoot a lot of 110 grain PRN and 100 Grain Speer 'Plinkers' with 10 grains of Unique an both are scary accurate.

You can try 7.5 grains of Unique but I would not go any lower than that. Unique is a great powder but it starts to loose its stability at lower charges and your accuracy may suffer.

I am currently shooting some 135 grain lead FP bullets with 9 grains of unique and that has proven to be the most accurate. It took me some experimenting to get to this as it is NOT unusual for some rifles to not shoot lead bullets very well.

Also make sure you have a case mouth flaring die as you do not want to 'shave' lead bullets during seating.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use the 70gr Speer semi- spitzer in 223 Rem. my rifle is the Rem. 788 of course it has a box magazine. I'm curious where you got the 30 cal sabots to hold .224" bullets. Are they old new sock or new?
E Arthur Brown had them when I checked this summer, I never ordered any. But Go to the website>

·
Registered
178 Posts
The 100gr gr Plinkers are fun little bullets to shoot, now I am settling down with around 22grs AA 2015, not as loud and still fun to shoot. Have to use a Lee FCD, I get all my dies from E-bay. Crimp just on the edge of jacket..
Don't forget Hornadys 135gr flex tip, this can be loaded close to 2600 fps with CFE 223, Shooters World Match, AA 2230. I also use IMR 4320 for my 130 & 135gr loads. I have time, hey I'm retired!. I'm not crazy about the Speer 110gr hp, they don't seem to like much speed. But I like the Sierra 110gr HP, I load them in the magazine too, if it makes you nervous just load 2, these bullets shoot great in 12 twist 308's also with full throttle loads of same powders as above.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I'm interested in the GT Bullets and before I order a box I should slug my barrel. I know that I should use a soft lead slug and push it through the bore to be sure of the bore's diameter. Now for a 444s bore and a 308 express or 336 - 30-30 what do you use to slug these bores? There isn't a walk-in a gunsmith in my location to do this for me. So it's DIY for me. I have Hornady 50 cal. ML ball I can trim down or can I purchase the slugs I need?

PS. This is on the internet think I'll go with it.
Slug Your Barrel - Meister Bullets – Full line of hard cast lead cowboy and ISPC/IDPA bullets, new brass, cartridges, black powder SPG lead bullets, reloading supplies, hard swaged lead bullets, shooting supplies, T-shirts, hats and patches

641 - 660 of 668 Posts