Marlin Firearms Forum banner

621 - 640 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
14,329 Posts
This is right down my alley. Have done extensive light bullet shooting in 30/30. I shot a lot of Hornady 1/2 Jacket 100 gr. This was my small game bullet. My standard load is 6.5gr Unique at 1200fps. No crimp and loaded them in the magazine.
The 110gr FMJ-RN a bullet intended for MI Carbine. This one I was running to see what I could wring out of it and still have accuracy.
Load is 37.0gr IMR-4064 at 2700 fps. Again no crimp and load them in mag. This load is my favorite to jerk peoples chain with 30/30 and Marauder to boot.

I only shoot two bullets in 30/30 tube mags that I don't load in mag. The Speer 130HP which is Spitzer and the Speer 110gr HP that they call the Varmiter and looks like a pistol HP. They have warning on box not to use in tube mags, I follow their advice. Bullets of 100 to 115gr I have had no problem with bullets setting back in magazine nor ejecting a live round. The velocities listed above are from a manual or gun magazine for basic charge. I fine tuned loads for Marauder so with its short barrel the velocity would be less
I shoot these in 336s and Win 94 also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Many thanks, I figured as much (no need to crimp and load in the magazine), but I guess I just got a little worried based on what I read in the Speer manual for their lightweight bullets. Hopefully I'll get a chance around Christmas to load some up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Fav Load for Light 30-30 Winchester/
Speer Flat Nose SP/cann 30-30 Win Part #2007/
Bullet weight:130.0 Grain
Powder Charge 36gainsr CFE 223
CCI BR Primer Remington Case 2.5505" OAL

Light Recoil Flat trajectory
Enough for well placed shot on Deer (Neck)
Great for Coyote

·
Registered
142 Posts
For those who worry about crimping a bullet without a cannelure, if you want to crimp, buy a Lee FDC. This dies uses a collet to do the crimping. As you push the shell up into the dies the collet presses straight in from the sides to crimp. This collet crimp is strong enough to crimp into any bullet Cannelure or not.
I have this dies for several of the cartridges I load. You can adjust this crimp to be just enough to straighten out the bell to as tight as you need. Well until the collet closes to where the fingers of the collet touch. At this point you can't go further, you will damage the die.
On some load it can improve accuracy.
Leo

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's my deer load, that is a tough bullet and a soft kicker for me and bum shoulder & super accurate usually a bit over an inch. It's went through every whitetail I shot with it.

Great for Coyote

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

Great for Coyote
I like that bullet with a stiff load of either cfe223 or lvr powder. There was not any data that I could find at the time for for a 130 bullet with lvr so I did a ladder load and backed off as soon as accuracy started to go south. Both powders gave me excellent accuracy and velocity in my 336.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got to around 40grs of LVR and it just didn't seem right, it shot good but very loud on the muzzle end with a huge fireball. called it off and went back to CFE 223. I think LVR is a hair slow for a 130gr bullet. But I will dig into it again one day with a chrono. CFE shot so good I just lost interest in anything else.
I like that bullet with a stiff load of either cfe223 or lvr powder. There was not any data that I could find at the time for for a 130 bullet with lvr so I did a ladder load and backed off as soon as accuracy started to go south. Both powders gave me excellent accuracy and velocity in my 336.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Some interesting (and hot loads) abound with H-322, and CFE 223 and the fine 130 Grain Speer Flat Point:

Paco Kelly in the "300 yard 30-30" quotes "The best bullet I have found so far for my 30-30 is the Speer 130 grain flat tip. 38.5 grains of H322 gives this bullet 2720 fps"

Hodgon Data Manual #26 circa 1992 list H322 start at 35 grains 34,800 cup and Max at 37 grains 37,600 cup with the same 130 grain Speer Flat Point!!

Hodgon data Manual #27 with the 130 Gr Speer FP got some 30-30 religion across the board, dropping powder charges (but not pressures)and dropping H-322 loads altogether like they were evil.

For example on some other powders: Data Manual #26 for the 130 Gr Speer FP H4895 start 35.0 Max 37.0 (36,000 CUP). Where as Data Manual #27 Start 31.5 Max 35.0 (35,300) circa 1995

Current Hodgdon On-Line Data also deletes H-322 like a black sheep of the extreme family, but still lists the H4895 Data as the same as was listed in the ancient #27 Data Manual almost 25 years ago.

Currently Hodgon lists both Hodgdon Lever and CFE 223 as the velocity champs in the 30-30 with the fine 130 Grain Speer Flat Point

Speer however does list H-322 as a choice with their 130 Gr FP in the 30-30 in their on-line data, as shown below:

Hodgdon H322 Winchester Min 29.0 2058 FPS MAX 33.0 2410 FPS

https://www.speer-ammo.com/download...e/30_caliber_308_dia/30-30_Winchester_130.pdf

The Speer Velocity champ with the 130 gr FP is CFE 223:

Hodgdon CFE 223 Min 38.1 2428 FPS MAX 42.0 C 2643 FPS!!

Which I should note is a full 6.3 above Hodgdon's Powders MAX for the same bullet and the same CFE 223. Wowser!!!

All this wild data certainly poses problems for new or novice reloaders. But prudence is the name of the game and approach all these spurious loads from well below and work up carefully. Creating a self-disassembling 30-30 should not be a goal that one is likely to strive for.

But have fun anyway....

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The powders of days gone by are/were slightly different from what there is today The 2400 of Elmer Keith's days was less potent than today's 2400. Gun writers and shooters are finding excessive pressures and damaged cases in revolver cases using the original loading data from that era and have dropped it back a bit.
Dont know why Hodgdon would drop data on H322 for 30-30 ammunition. They have dropped the data on usage of IMR4320 also from 30-30 in most loads. I still have a Butt Load of IMR4320 I inherited from my dad who passed in 1987. If using the old powders from that era, maybe the data from that era would be a good idea otherwise use newer powder and watch for pressure signs.
butt load1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The pointed Sierra 125 grain bullet is easily loaded into 30-30 cases. Of course, this cartridge must be loaded into the chamber only; a single shot affair. My experiences with this loading have been 100% positive. Sighted in for 3 inches high at 100 yards this bullet is right on at 225 yards. Aim a smidgen high and you have a 275 yard antelope outfit from your so-called brush gun! Performance upon impact is quite ghastly indeed! Wound channels are wide and deep.

30-30 is a keeper!

TR

·
Registered
191 Posts
The pointed Sierra 125 grain bullet is easily loaded into 30-30 cases. Of course, this cartridge must be loaded into the chamber only; a single shot affair. My experiences with this loading have been 100% positive. Sighted in for 3 inches high at 100 yards this bullet is right on at 225 yards. Aim a smidgen high and you have a 275 yard antelope outfit from your so-called brush gun! Performance upon impact is quite ghastly indeed! Wound channels are wide and deep.

30-30 is a keeper!

TR
Actually TR any of the good pointed light 30 caliber bullets developed for the 300 Blackout can be used in the 30-30. Especially outstanding in is the Barnes TAC-TX 120 grain (Bullet # 30320). It can be driven to 2600 FPS+ in a 20" 30-30 barrel. The best thing about this bullet is it will open up at lower velocities than normal for unleaded bullets, as it was designed for the slower 300 Blackout.

And if you plan carefully it not a single shot affair, but rather a two shot affair. Place one round in the chamber and the second in the mag tube and look MA no nasty pointy bullet primer strikes......

·
Registered
798 Posts
Actually TR any of the good pointed light 30 caliber bullets developed for the 300 Blackout can be used in the 30-30. Especially outstanding in is the Barnes TAC-TX 120 grain (Bullet # 30320). It can be driven to 2600 FPS+ in a 20" 30-30 barrel. The best thing about this bullet is it will open up at lower velocities than normal for unleaded bullets, as it was designed for the slower 300 Blackout.

And if you plan carefully it not a single shot affair, but rather a two shot affair. Place one round in the chamber and the second in the mag tube and look MA no nasty pointy bullet primer strikes......
Which really should be all you need in a hunting situation.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am currently loading 12 grains of Unique with 100 grain Speer 'Plinkers' and 110 grain FMJ bullets intended for the .30 Carbine for my .30-30 Winchesters.

These chrono at about 1700 FPS +/- and are very soft shooting.

Both are very accurate and it's hard to tell which might be more accurate but as soon as Xtreme starts running their 110 grain .30 cal PRN bullets I will order a 500 round box and hope they shoot well - which I believe they will!

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
After spending TOO much with AR's recently, after re-reading this thread, I have so got to get back into my Win 94 30WCF and play around with these loads again starting with 311008 loads! Thanks to EVERYBODY who contributed this thread to this thread!

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Molded up some 311008 bullets and loaded them up with 2.5gr Ba10 (a bit faster burning than Bullseye) for a velocity of about 800fps. Them and the RCBS .32-115-FNGC sized to .309 are going to be my light weight bullets of choice from now on. Fun, fun, fun!
Also loaded up some "Leverguns.com" Paco 10gr 2400 RCBS 150 cby loads at about 1000fps, those look like they're going to be fun, too!
Yup, still got some primers!
Anybody else still around?

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Since becoming a real fan of cast boolits and pistol powders in the 30-30, I try to keep up with any chatter on the subject. I don't know how many rounds for those loads I've shot in the last 3-4 years of loading them, but I'm guessing around 500 to 700. I still haven't tried any boolits lighter than some cast by a buddy (supposed to be 150 gr mold) that average 143 gr. A 9.0 gr load of Unique will put 10 rounds in a sub one inch group at 50 yards, about 1430 fps. Fun way to poke holes in paper that needs perforating.

jd

Reactions: GJinNY

·
Registered
178 Posts
My latest bit of messing around with 30-30 loads is the Speer 100gr half jacket with 14'5 gr's of 2400
I crimp them in place with a LFCD just so the copper jacket sticks out about 1/8" or so.
And yes I load these in the magazine, I would not try this without using the LFCD crimp.
These bullets really shoot great and are plenty fast, I tried some with 32grs AA2015 & shot great groups, but now lots of bang & blast more like a real load, I didn't want that, so 14.5 2400 it is.
Watch against the double charge.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
My latest bit of messing around with 30-30 loads is the Speer 100gr half jacket with 14'5 gr's of 2400
I crimp them in place with a LFCD just so the copper jacket sticks out about 1/8" or so.
And yes I load these in the magazine, I would not try this without using the LFCD crimp.
These bullets really shoot great and are plenty fast, I tried some with 32grs AA2015 & shot great groups, but now lots of bang & blast more like a real load, I didn't want that, so 14.5 2400 it is.
Watch against the double charge.
I haven't tried any jacketed or half jacket loads with pistol powders, yet. It sounds interesting, but maybe a little more expensive, bullet wise. As far as pistol powders, in addition to Unique, I do use A-2400 and AA#7 for loads I want to get a bit more velocity. Recently, I've found my old 336 likes a 150 gr GT Bullet LHP g/c over 14.5 gr of AA#7. It chronys a bit over 1700 fps and is capable of under MOA at 50 yards .... pretty much one ragged 5 shot hole.

Since my equilibrium has been pretty much shot since the nasty stuff of 2016, I can't stand and shoot a rifle (accurately) off hand .... so I'm committed to being the best 30-30 win bench rest shooter in my neighborhood ;)

jd

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ordered some 115 grain HP .311 bullets from GT Bullets last fall and they finally arrived. I am looking for a low powered load for my 1967 Winchester 30-30 with a 26” barrel. Looking for a reasonably accurate 25 to 50 yard load.

Does anyone here have a favorite load for this bullet? I will be trying Trail Boss and Unique for the first batchs. With Trail Boss it looks to me like a 5.5 or 6 grain load would be a good place to start. With Unique I was thinking of starting with a 7.5 grain load.

Any thoughts or experience with this bullet?

621 - 640 of 668 Posts