Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been reloading .357 for a couple of years now and I haven't been able to come up with a light, cheap, accurate load with low fouling.
Maybe I'm asking for too much but I'd like to hear your suggestions.

I use .357 cases and a lubed 158gr hard cast RNFP bullet. I do have some 158gr SWC but they hang up sightly from time to time slowing down my shooting.

The powders I currently have:
Blue Dot
Trail Boss
H110
Lil Gun
Bullseye
Unique

Primers:
CCI SP
Federal SP
Fiocchi SP
Remington SP

Fiocchi LP
CCI LP

Using the data given in the Lyman 49th Edition manual I've not found a happy medium since I'm limited to what kind of bullets I can own and use here in England.
Basically I cannot have expanding soft or hollow points, FMJs and plated come about from time to time but are expensive since I'm just paper punching.

So with the components I've listed above can anyone help me out?

I also just picked up a JM 1894SS chambered in .44Mag with ballard rifling.

Again can anyone suggest a load with the powders listed and a 240gr lead RNFP bullet?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
My choice has been Trail Boss for my wife's 1894C. Low risk of over charging the case, made for plinking, and creates enough pressure to do a nice job sealing the chamber. For me at least.

The 357 even at average speeds is not really offensive but lower power loads are more pleasant. The H110 and Lil Gun really only like to work at the higher pressures and aren't recommended to be reduced much below their max charges anyway. Stay away from those for plinking.

Unique, Bullseye, and Blue Dot do make for some nice reduced loads in a lot of cartridges but it takes so little powder that one has to be extremely careful to not double charge. No sense making your plinking fun a greater liability than necessary.

Reactions: UK-1894

·
Registered
193 Posts
You should be able to make Bullseye work for your intended purpose. Even at max charge you are using lot less powder then w/ the likes of H110. My cheap plinking load is a MP 359125 over top of W231/HP-38. We're talking 3 cents a round because the lead was free. It doesn't get much more economical and that bullet design happens to be lights out out of all of my 357s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, do you know of a reloading manual that leans more towards target shooting with cast bullets, than high power varmint loads?

·
Registered
216 Posts
From the Hodgdon site...

3.2 gr ( 754 FPS ) to 4.2 gr ( 865 FPS ) of Trail Boss, 158 gr bullet, Winchester small pistol magnum primer, Case Overall Length 1.61.

In the rifle I would go with 4 gr of trail boss. Should make just under 1000 fps and be a real puddy cat to shoot.

D

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Hello there,

I do not reload, so I don't know anything about it.(It is not allowed here by law).
With that said, I've come to the conclusion that for target shooting with my 1894 in 357 Magnum, the best load is 38 Special.
It is a breeze to shoot and way less expenssive, at least around here.

Cheers

Reactions: Catherine

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello there,

I do not reload, so I don't know anything about it.(It is not allowed here by law).
With that said, I've come to the conclusion that for target shooting with my 1894 in 357 Magnum, the best load is 38 Special.

Cheers
I used to load .38 special but I prefer using a .357 case.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello there,

Cheers
It's a moot point here. You can reload to 38 Special level in 357 cases w/ the end result being a few less FPS. I don't bother w/ 38 Special brass unless the firearms is 38 only. The difference in powder is going to be almost negligible at the low end as well. A grain or two doesn't add up to much cost wise.

All the 357 loads are tame out of a rifle. I can shoot my hunting loads all day long in an 1894C while I'm good for maybe two cylinders out of a 586. As far as load data, Hodgdon's online site will have starting loads listed. For printed material the Lee manual is going to have the most loads because it's a compilation of all the manufacturer's data. They list starting loads as well. I can't really recommend Quickload for straight wall cases unless you have a chrono to confirm your velocities. Some of the results it's calculated for me have been screwy. But once dialed in it works wonders. I mean to the point where .1 grain is the difference between leaving or sticking in the barrel. Confirmed that one because I was bored and trying to use as little powder as possible :laugh:

·
Registered
348 Posts
U.K.---the Trailboss gonna be ya best choice for low pres.-volicity etc. target loads-----one of hodgden's main selling points for it is for Cowboy Action shooting--ya can make some really light loads w/ it ---also it's very bulky taking up lots of space in brass-really hard to doublecharge a round without making a big really noticeable mess if ya do!----Hodgden website gives lot o info bout it under cowboy shooting loads----

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
3.8 gr Trail Boss w/ 158gr LRNFP Shoots the Best for Light Loads in my 1894C.
Another Light Load it Likes is 6gr HS-6 (If you can Get It) w/ Same Boolit.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
For light target loads it's tough to beat Trail Boss. If you can't find load data in your manual just go to the powder manufacturers website,it'll be there. If worst comes to worst you can always send them an e-mail, I've had good results doing this with Alliant & Accurate, I imagine IMR is no different.
GH1:)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Or just use Hodgdon's reference on using TrailBoss in any cartridge:
http://hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail Boss Reduced Loads R&P.pdf

Specifically:
-----------------
IMR® TRAIL BOSS® REDUCED LOADS FOR RIFLE AND PISTOL
As noted in the powder description section, Trail Boss was designed primarily for reduced loads using lead bullets in pistol cartridges. However, Trail Boss offers superb versatility in rifle cartridges producing reduced loads using lead or jacketed bullets. These reduced loads make firing such cartridges as the 300 Winchester Magnum or even the 458 Winchester Magnum pure fun!
Listed below we show a few examples of such loads throughout the Reloading Data Center, but the fun doesn't stop there. If you don't see Trail Boss data for your favorite cartridge we have a formula for developing loads for all cartridges and it's simple to follow. This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:
1) Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
2) Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.
3) Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!

--------------
- Tim

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My favorite light/medium round for my Rossi 92 is 6 gr Autocomp under a 158 gr cast bullet. Burns very clean and is very accurate.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
216 Posts
Also, FWIW, shooting .38 specials in a .357 rifle can lead the chamber a bit and make it harder to load .357's, and then require a bronze bore brush to clean it up. When I get chamber leading I take the brush, put it on my drill and clean the chamber from the back if possible with some solvent. Seems to de=lead well for ma and makes loading the .357's easier again.

D

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
If you have Unique, that's where I'd start. I used Lee's scoops for my 38 and 357 loads, .5cc for 38 and .7cc for 357. The charges listed on their measure calculator (which comes with the scoops) shows 4.6 grains of Unique with the .5 scoop, 6.4 with the .7 scoop. You'll probably find your actual charges are a bit less, but that's of no concern here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts