Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,351 Posts
Guy, what I have done to solve a similar problem with my 30/30 and 444 lever guns was to remove the bolt and put them in my Lyman® 2500 Turbo Sonic Cleaner. I set the timer for 8 minutes and ran it for a couple of cycles. Removed them, let them dry, and then degreased fully with Gun Scrubber™. I then lightly oiled with 3-in-One® oil. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The dent in the primer with a misfire will never be as deep as the dent with a fire: When the hammer falls and the primer pushes back into the firing pin and the primer gets a big dent because there is no headspace, then the powder goes off the case comes back and the primer re-seats. If you want to measure your headspace shoot a primed empty case, measure the primer protrusion and that is you headspace. It is possible that the hammer spring has gotten weak, those are available from Numrich and others. But a number of others have suggested a good cleaning of the bolt and that is the easiest thing to try. There is such a thing as bad primers, although, if it goes off the second time it could just be that the primer was set a little too high.

·
Premium Member
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Guy, what I have done to solve a similar problem with my 30/30 and 444 lever guns was to remove the bolt and put them in my Lyman® 2500 Turbo Sonic Cleaner. I set the timer for 8 minutes and ran it for a couple of cycles. Removed them, let them dry, and then degreased fully with Gun Scrubber™. I then lightly oiled with 3-in-One® oil. Problem solved.
Thanks! I cleaned the heck out of the bolt this morning and re-assembled the rifle. Loaded up my last ten Sierra 170's too. Sigh... I hope to get out to the rifle range with it soon, maybe this weekend, or Monday at the latest. I'll let everyone know. Hopefully that simple step will solve the issue. The bolt was dirtier than I'd thought.

Thanks all!

Guy

·
Super Moderator
10,156 Posts
Check out Brownells "Smithbusters" about the use of WD40 on guns.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
"The bolt was dirtier than I'd thought. "

Everything about guns are always dirtier than you'd think ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks! I cleaned the heck out of the bolt this morning and re-assembled the rifle. Loaded up my last ten Sierra 170's too. Sigh... I hope to get out to the rifle range with it soon, maybe this weekend, or Monday at the latest. I'll let everyone know. Hopefully that simple step will solve the issue. The bolt was dirtier than I'd thought.

Thanks all!

Guy
Did you disassemble the bolt and clean inside? That's what solved the light primer strikes with my 1894.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
777 Posts
Took my 30-30 Glenfield to the range today to try some new handloads. Shot about 40 rounds. Had THREE primers that refused to fire, until I thumbed the hammer back and tried again. All three shot on the second strike.

I was using CCI large rifle primers.

I've never had a failure to fire with this rifle before. Have probably 1,000+ rounds through it now.

The primers all had a small firing pin dent, less than I usually see.

It was 35 degrees at the range, and I'd recently cleaned the rifle, lubing it lightly.

It looks to me more like a rifle issue, as the primers weren't dented very heavily. I wonder if it was the lube I applied, not dealing well with the cool weather?

Or is the rifle getting old and maybe needs some help?

Thanks, Guy
You may have not seated those 3 primers all the way into the primer pocket. But I have seen light primer strikes on factory ammo as well, typically with handgun ammunition. If it were a rifle issue the only thing I can think of would be, maybe, a weak hammer spring. But I'm not a gunsmith, so that would be my guess. Someone with more knowledge here can probably give you a much better answer.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts