Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 30-30 Glenfield to the range today to try some new handloads. Shot about 40 rounds. Had THREE primers that refused to fire, until I thumbed the hammer back and tried again. All three shot on the second strike.

I was using CCI large rifle primers.

I've never had a failure to fire with this rifle before. Have probably 1,000+ rounds through it now.

The primers all had a small firing pin dent, less than I usually see.

It was 35 degrees at the range, and I'd recently cleaned the rifle, lubing it lightly.

It looks to me more like a rifle issue, as the primers weren't dented very heavily. I wonder if it was the lube I applied, not dealing well with the cool weather?

Or is the rifle getting old and maybe needs some help?

Thanks, Guy

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Must be time to go through the firing system. New spring, new front and rear firing pins. Do the complete. Save the old parts in the spares drawer. Use stock strength spring.

·
Super Moderator
6,319 Posts
Just a couple of years ago I had my ffl bud to order me a new (two piece) firing pin for my 1973 Marlin 336 to correct the same light strike problem. Fixed my issues 100%

jd

·
Premium Member
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Years ago....
I remember reading from a "Expert" in reloading....
That CCI primers had a harder cup than other Manufactures....
I've heard that too - but I've used CCI large rifle primers in my handloads for this rifle before.

Will clean it all again, though it hasn't been long. Get rid of the lube. Try again. And, I'll see about locating replacement firing pin parts. :)

Thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes.

Guy

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
I had a gun where the internal passages in the bolt were caked with congealed oil and gunk. I had a couple of misfires when it was cold, none when it was warm. I have not had any miss fires since the cleaning.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
After cleaning the insides of the gun, you can go down to the local hardware and get a washer that the post easily passes through and put it behind the hammer spring. Make positive the outer diameter of the washer is very close to the trigger spring diameter so it does not rub against wood or metal. I was shown this trick by a fellow cowboy action shooter who was using an extra light set of springs for quicker action speed and had the same primer problem with 1 type of primer.

·
Super Moderator
25,846 Posts
I had a similar problem with a 375 Win Marlin. The light primer strikes were fixed by taking the bolt apart, cleaning all the parts, then applying light weight lube oil. Now it goes bang every time the first time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Recently I was getting light primer strikes with my 1894 after I changed to a RPP lever. I put the original lever back on the rifle and was still getting light strikes.
I took bolt apart, degreased, cleaned all the crap out of it and so far (~250rnds) the problem has not come back with either the RPP or original lever.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Combination of cold temperature and thickened lube with 3 primers that weren’t seated all the way. They fired on the second strike as the first strike seated them. I would just strip, clean the bolt completely and use some non temp sensitive lube.

·
Premium Member
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any primers backing out of case?
Nope - not at all. Everything looks fine with the ammo except the dents in the primers aren't as deep as they used to be.

I'll clean it all up again, lightly lube it, probably with some graphite, re-assemble, and go try again. All was well after the last cleaning, until the cooler weather hit. I should have tried it during that arctic blast when we got down to 5 degrees! LOL! No, I was happier sipping coffee indoors. :)

Appreciate all the suggestions guys. Thank you.

Guy

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've experienced many issues with light primer strikes. Over oiling, dirty, cold wet weather, broken firing pin, hammer pivot pin worn and not allowing a square strike on the transfer bar, incorrect lock up, thread from a cleaning patch wrapped around the firing pin, broken hammer spring and rarely a hard primer. I also recommend what Moleman said, check firing pin protrusion first.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
Years ago....
I remember reading from a "Expert" in reloading....
That CCI primers had a harder cup than other Manufactures....
As far as I know only CCI #34, #35,and #41 primers have an extra hard cup designed for military semi auto weapons to mitigate the chance of an out of battery ignition.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts