Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
light primer strikes with 1895GBL

Hi All

I have been having a bit of a problem with light primer strikes every so often at the range with my 1895GBL (5months old). I get 1or 2 light primer strikes every 20 rounds. Rifle is usually fine when first shooting it but if I leave it to shoot something else and then go back to it they can develop. If I cock the hammer a 2nd time it will always go bang.

This weekend at the range I noticed this time during the misfire that it almost seemed like the rear of the firing pin was not all the way forward (not flush with the bolt), I took a picture of the ejected round.

While at home cleaning the two rifles (I also have a 1894C) I noticed that the firing pin in my 1894C will move freely when I tip the bolt from side to side. This does not happen with the firing pin in the 1895GBL, I need to push it for it to move and when I tip it side to side it does not move.

My questions is should the firing pin in the 1895GBL move more freely than what I have described, similar to what my 1894C does.

I thought I would ask the forum since everyone was very helpful in solving a problem I was having with my 1894C.

Thanks in advance.

Del

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Re: light primer strikes with 1895GBL

Yes it should. Take the bolt out and give it a good clean and I'll bet it solves your problem.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Mark.

The instruction book I have does not describe how to take the bolt apart. How do I clean it to free the firing pin without taking it apart? Is there some product that you can use?

Del

·
Registered
633 Posts

Dip the whole bolt in some hoppes#9 or gasoline for 5 minuets or so and blow it out with some compressed air. If that doesn't work then you can disasseble it. Good luck, Clem

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

There are two things that can cause light 45/70 primer strikes –

Gunk in the bolt/firing pin hole and like Oz said - a good cleaning will fix it.

Or your primers are not completely seated … The first strike will seat the primer, and the second will fire it.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts

I've had the same issue, with the same model of rifle, and what looks like the same ammo (BVAC). Going this saturday a.m. to chronograph the ammo in question anyway, will soak the bolt, blow out with gunscrubber, and then hit it with my compressor. We can both go about trying to fix it, and that way, we'll get it resolved for sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts

I had the same problem with my .444. I soaked it in naptha, dip rinse, repeat, dried it out and set it on the dashboard of my truck on a hot summer day, lightly lubed it and never had any trouble after.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts

Was out with the GBL this morning after doing the cleaning everyone's recommended, only one light strike. Will repeat the procedure, but this seems to be the cure.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Probably dirt and powder residue in the Marlin "Safety" 2 piece firing pin. Shoot one enough dirty it will peen the end and problem is even worse. Easy way to clean is solvent and air hose. If that does not fix it you can increase the hammer spring tension but best to make everything slip easy rather than hit it harder.

Ever hear how Glocks never jam ? see them all the time in matches missfire due to dirt in the striker same thing as the likely problem with your Marlin. Two schools of thought some run pins dry to avoid gunk and dirt, others lube clean and re-lube often. I like lube clean and re-lube.

Boats

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Jonny V glad to hear that your rifle is working better, how many mifires did you get before the cleaning?

It definitely seems like the problem is with the bolt.

I took the rifle with me when I went to the local gun store to get some cleaning products and one of their sale staff had a look at it for me. When compared with some of their marlins the firing pin appeared sticky.

I also found out they are the Marlin repair centre for Western Canada. He suggested that I have it checked out since it is still under warranty and only a few months old.

Could take a few weeks as they are a bit busy.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts

Previous range session was 70 rounds, and approx dozen misfires.......I'm working on doing a total tune-up of the rifle, and will incorporate another bolt cleaning into the mix. Oh yeah, I did not lube the bolt after cleaning this time.....Maybe that's it.......

·
Registered
632 Posts

I have 2-3 new main spring's laying around because I've had to replace several over the years after missfires.Doesn't matter if it's new or not.Cleaning the bolt never worked for me.My 30/30 Cowboy conversion came home with a bad spring.Ater market springs always gave me missfires.So now I have some new one's laying around for the next time.Just put a new one in my 444.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts