Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took my new to me 336A in 35rem. to the range last thursday. I hadn't been able to remove the stock screw and therefore couldn't remove and clean the trigger and other parts. I reached everything I could through the various openings. Anyway, the first round took a light hit [CCI 200s]. Second try sent it down range. Round # 8 didn't go off either. Had a pretty good dent in it. Wrapped it in sand bags and took it to the creek. I [with help] got the stock screw out and cleaned everything. Even took the bronze pin out of the bolt and made sure the firing pin was moving freely. While I had it apart I washered the hammer spring. Even a thin little #8 washer really tightened it up. Maybe even a little too tight. Going to take it out and try the new loads with WLR primers first. {After getting some data from 35 Rem.] If any of them fail I'll get an even thinner brass washer to try. Anyone else had this problem. I wonder if the spring is the same in the newer guns. I'm calling Marlin tomorrow to see if I can get the spring length measurement. The washer I installed makes the lever a lot stiffer. Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah, I had the same problem using Winchester WLR primers and even on Remington factory ammo. I put a couple of washers behind the hammer spring and it definitely made the hammer hit harder. Unfortunately, the lever was much harder to operate, too. I took the washers out and have since been using Federal 210 primers. I've had no misfires using these primers, even without the washers installed.

When hunting season gets here I'm going to add one thin washer behind the hammer spring just to be sure I'm not going to have a problem with a round failing to go "bang".

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
Two other things you can do to improve the primers going off.
#1. Switch to an unplated primer, non plated are softer and dent easier.
#2. A one piece firing pin enhances the blow.

I do action and trigger jobs to all my marlins, and I have two older marlins that I made one piece firing pins by brazing them together (You can eliminat the little spring out of the bolt too) reason, after the action and trigger jobs were done "misfires" Mind you one trigger breaks at 40oz the other at 32oz. This means the main spring is lightened, and the trigger sear angle changed. Both of these older marlins 1949 and 1960 cycle very smoothly, I do advocate the washers prior to hunting season. I do still use CCI primers in both rifles.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Swany,

do you have any safety concerns using the one piece firing pin? Would the one piece firing pin potentially allow the hammer to drop on the firing pin without the action being completely closed and locked?

I have thought about going to a one-piece firing pin but have been deterred by this assumed potential danger.

8)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Oh by the way Swany, I used to go on vacation to Robinson Lake near White Cloud, MI when I was a kid. I see Jugville is still on the map. I wonder if the big fat lady still works at the bait shop? :)

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
Yes I have safety concerns because of that I deepen the half cock notch when I rework my marlins. I don't believe it would be possible to discharge it with the lever partially closed the hammer would strike the bolt first. I will not sell one with the one piece in it or lend it out. My CBs have the CBS so they are not a concern. I have never had an accidental discharge to date. Pray I never do. But then I do hunt with a friend that has a pre 64 winchester don't like him behind me. Yes I do trust him behind my back. Reason is the pre 64s had a problem as most of them when you pull real hard when on half cock they allow the hammer to drop. His does it, I've told him I would fix it for free yet he still hunts with it as is. It takes about a 20lb squeeze but it does snap the hammer. I've never been able to do that with any marlin I've handled. If you own a pre 64 Winnie check it. This is with 94s, I've checked a few 64s and they don't seem to have the problem. My Dad's 1949 model winchester won't do it. My bottom line is no firearm is safe unless you handle it proper. White Cloud is a hop skip & jump from me. NE She probably is still alive, the water is rotten in my area and causes strange people, not up there. ha ha

·
Registered
562 Posts
If the rifle couldn't discharge with the lever partially closed, what safety concern do you have with the one-piece firing pin? I thought the purpose of the two piece pin was to "dis-align" the firing pin until the bolt was locked. If the two-piece pin doesn't provide safety in this way, in what way does it provide any extra safety?

Also, you say the hammer would strike the bolt first. I dont understand this statement. The firing pin is in the hammer notch in the end of the bolt. If the hammer is going to hit the bolt it is going to hit the bolt right on the end where the firing pin sticks out. How could the hammer hit the bolt anywhere but in the location of the firing pin?

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
If it is partially open then the hammer strikes the bolt, if closed it hits the pin. I know the pin can be struck if open very little. The two piece is an excellent safety device that allows for the worse case scenario. It's very similar to the CBS on modern marlins that have an excellent half cock notch quite a bit deeper than that of the older ones. Just an extra thing for the people looking at law suits, the CBS and the extra deep half cock notches serve the same purpose to make marlins lawyer proof. Accidental deaths from firearms, are blamed a lot on the safety devices failing. Most people that screw up and kill a loved one have done so by being unsafe when handling their firearms, other wise the subject would never come up if they did not break the number one rule. Treat every firearm as if loaded. I feel safe when handling my reworked firearms, I just don't feel safe if someone else wants to and screws up. Stupidest thing I've ever done is shoot a hole in the floor of my home when I first started handloading, and loaded 49 of 50 rds without powder and did not have a bullet puller. I popped the primers and the bullets would come out and I would retrieve them with a ramrod. Like I said 49 out of 50. Learned a big lesson that day, and I have never ever forgot. That was 47 yrs ago, no other discharges of the stupid kind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts