Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a light load for IMR4198 using 405g Cast? Looking for something easy on the shoulder for the range.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Just buy a 10003 limbsaver, and dont worry about light loads

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a limb saver but don't use it... Why would I when I have this beautiful leather on it! Lol not gonna disgrace my gun like that lol ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410005310.880858.jpg

Reactions: msharley

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
I would suggest using the trap door loads in 4198 and that should be as light as i would go with that powder. If you want to load some subsonic loads I use trail boss or blue dot, both are pretty nice powders and provide 100 yd accuracy with 405 lasercast......................and just plain fun to shoot

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try that then. I'm gonna load some up today. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey Ask,

Have had good success with both of the 4198's and the 405 gr cast bullet.

From 28 to 35 grains.

Double check your Manual, or look here Hodgdon Reloading | Home The IMR is just a "whisker faster", than the H 4198. Look here...Burn Rate

Rx7 and H 322 are good choices, as well.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I have a limb saver but don't use it... Why would I when I have this beautiful leather on it! Lol not gonna disgrace my gun like that lol View attachment 117629
Because it will stop your arm from hurting, and all your buds razzing you about girlie boolits
Leather dont do nuttin but look pretty

Girl+in+forest+leaning+back.jpg

Reactions: SeanT

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
dang pard! I bet she casts her own!:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Get the Hodgdon's manual in magazine form, they have loads for both IMR & H 4198.
This is a manual I really like & here they are only about $8.
Don't load any ammo using burn rate charts as a guide look for reputable published data.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I loaded some 405 gr. LaserCasts and started with 34.0 grs. of IMR 3031 and IMO the recoil was neglible.

-Will-

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts