Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try lighter charges of lil gun in a .357 rifle? Ive loaded up to 18g, but was wondering if I could use 12-14g and have a decent lower power load witbout changing powders in the press.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Anyone try lighter charges of lil gun in a .357 rifle? Ive loaded up to 18g, but was wondering if I could use 12-14g and have a decent lower power load witbout changing powders in the press.
I've shot 158gr bullets with as little as 12gr of LilGun out of a 24" 1894, got around 1580FPS, however the accuracy was unacceptable. Mine liked 14gr for accuracy (3/4" to 1" groups at 100meters are common) and that runs a 158gr bullet right at 1700FPS. At 16gr I got 1900FPS and groups opened up to 2" at 100meters.

- Tim

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I read good things about Lil Gun but it must be made from "unobtainium" as I've not seen any in these parts for more than a year.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I read good things about Lil Gun but it must be made from "unobtainium" as I've not seen any in these parts for more than a year.
It's (slowly) beginning to show up again.... Usually a pound here and there at local gun stores. Thankfully it doesn't seem to vary at all one lot number or bottle to the next. Which is a good thing cause I've replaced all but one of my H110/W296 loads with LilGun... I know it sure seems to be less primer finicky and shows way less pressure signs than H110/W296 sometimes does. The 300 Blackout crowd really seem to love it though, so if you find any of it, be sure to grab it.

- Tim

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I've shot 158gr bullets with as little as 12gr of LilGun out of a 24" 1894, got around 1580FPS, however the accuracy was unacceptable. Mine liked 14gr for accuracy (3/4" to 1" groups at 100meters are common) and that runs a 158gr bullet right at 1700FPS. At 16gr I got 1900FPS and groups opened up to 2" at 100meters.

- Tim
With my eyes, I'd be happy with 2" @ 50 yards.

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
Sorry.............My bad. I buy every keg of Lil Gun I come across. Between that and Varget, reloaders in my area don't have many choices left! Not to mention Trail Boss, Power Pistol, Longshot, H4198, and MR-2000. If I could find Accurate Arms powders in kegs, I'd snag all those up too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts