Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie to leverguns I've got a question for you.

I just bought my first box of cartridges for my 94SS, tossed a couple of them into the magazine tube and levered them out just to get a feel of the action.

Two questions: As I start to open the lever, at first it feels stuck and takes a good conscious yank to get it going. Is this normal, or is this a function of a brand new lever gun that's still really tight and needs a bit of working in? I also notice the levering sticks up a little bit when I'm closing the lever at about the half-way point, when the bolt is just beginning to push the round into the chamber. Again, is this normal or something that will smooth up with break-in, or is this something that's prefiguring some aspect of the dreaded Marlin jam?

Secondly, I notice that the cartridges that go through the full cycle of operation (minus firing) eject with a number of light scoring lines up and down the length of the cartridge. This happens a little more than half the time I cycle a round through. Is this normal, another sign of break-in, or is it something I should be concerned about?

I did check out the snail cam on the lever along with its contact point on the carrier and did find the beginnings of scoring along the contact point (the scoring was only detectable visually. Using a light touch and the tip of a sharp knife I couldn't feel any ridging in the carrier whatsoever). As per the "Marlin fix" I smoothed out the sharp edge on the lever snail cam using some 400 grit sandpaper.

Thanks for your insights ahead of time!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is the resistance on the lever happening when the the raised area on the underside of the bolt is pushing the hammer down slightly? If so, that would be a normal function of the action, and it will smooth out a bit with time, although it should never go away.

All my leverguns have scored the brass longitudinally to some degree when fed via the loading gate and cycled through, my 1894C being better about it than my last '92 Win copy in .357, whose extractor also chewed the rims up despite my best efforts.

I would imagine that with such little use, the edge on the lever cam just "brightened" the carrier without doing much of anything. I have had no wear on the carrier other than losing a bit of the blue.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the resistance on the lever happening when the the raised area on the underside of the bolt is pushing the hammer down slightly?
I hadn't noticed it, but yes indeed, that's the stuck point! Thanks for pointing it out. I'll wait for it to smooth out.

Also thanks for the insight on the longitudinal scoring. As I mentioned, this is a new observation on my part as I've never owned a levergun before.

G

·
Work the lever 300 times - get an action job and have the gunsmith pay attention to deburring the loading gate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts