Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be loading 38-55 in an old 1893 when my dies get here. Does anyone use the Lee Factory Crimp Die or is it not needed?

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I use RCBS cowboy dies and roll crimp into the Lyman 264 gr bullet.Dont need anything else.
Good luck with your 1893!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there L. A. -- I don't think it's needed either. Your RCBS dies are the best in my opinion, and produce a crimp like this. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have one that I use.I don't crimp much of anything very much except 44 mags with 296 or H110.I only crimp enough to remove the flare from the case at the case mouth so that the cartridge will chamber in the tight necked chamber. With a .379 groove diameter and .381 bullets,after using the .379 expander that comes with the RCBS Cowboy dies there isn't much chance of the bullets being pushed back in the case in the magazine.Others results may vary.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

The RCBS roll crimp is the best way to go. I pitched my LFCD because it distorted my cast bullets. My 38-55's are quite finicky about bullets and the distorted LF crimp is just one more step in the process in addition to being detrimental to accuracy. LFCD work very well with jacketed bullets but not well with any cast bullet. It is extra work, is not needed, and harmful to accuracy. So, to me it was worthless for my uses. YMMV

·
Registered
103 Posts
lever addict I was wondering the same thing about the LCFD now I don't have to buy the LCFD I'll just use my RCBS cowboy dies. thanks.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Caveat, make sure you make all your cases the same length, then that crimp is good to go.

The factory crimp die eliminates a lot of need for trimming to the same length. Me I prefer to trim em all to the same length then establish the crimp in the seater die.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts