Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the 30-30 can be finicky about ammo just like any other caliber. What I want to know, if anybody's tried it, is what gave you better accuracy, along with velocity, and using a 150 to 180 grain bullet? Was it hand loading with a slight hotter charge? Using Leverolution Ammo? Or, going with a Ackley Improved cylinder? Also does Leverolution ammo just use factory charges, but lighter weight bullets, or does it use light bullets w/hotter charges combined? I'm thinking about getting back into handloading again, but want to look at all options/costs comparisons available without having to get another "bigger is better" and just enjoying a fine old rifle that I already have. I've never tried Leverolution ammo or any Ackley Improved actions, as to how they compare to factory stock.
Del

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
The LE powder is a special blend of powder. You can use it with any bullet weight, but it was eveloped for the Hornady 160 FTX bullet. I have a 30-30 Ackley Improved, and I can get good velocities, but I don't think it is worth having a rifle rechambered now, not since this powder is available. So far, I haven't found any of the LE powder out here.
The old 30-30 does very well with available powders also. If you have a real need for speed, then a 300 Savage in a Savage 99 or a new Marlin .308 ME is the way to go. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I've tried LVR powder and the ftx bullets with good results. LVR powder seems to consistently get the highest velocity with most bullets but speed alone isn't everything. My most accurate load was with 34 grains of LVR using the ftx bullets. At 35 grns accuracy was still good but anything hotter and the groups started to spread out. Cases started stretching pretty bad at 36 and 37 grns and I could definitely fell a big difference in recoil telling me it was time to back off. I am waiting on an Ackley improved reamer. Running the numbers through Hornadys ballistic calculator show that the FTX bullet at 2300 fps has more energy and speed at 200 yrds than a round nose bullet going 2600 fps and at 300 yrds the advantage is even greater. If I can get 2400fps out of my 30-30 Ackley with 20" barrel I will have the confidence to take a shot at a deer at 300 yrds. To me any FTX load faster than 2400 fps is just the icing on the cake as long as its accurate. 2500 fps or more wont do you much good if the gun isn't shooting where you are aiming.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My best 30-30 load is 39 gr of 748 behind a 150 gr Hornady RN...a bit hot but holds the tightest groups for me.

Reactions: Lever Jac

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
This is just an obeservation, and not intended to put down anyone's ideas about reloading. But...

What engine would be the best to stick in a Model A Ford and turn it in to a Formula 1 racer?

My point is simply this --- the traditional standard ballistics for a .30-30 circa 2200-2300 for a 150 gr. bullet, 2100 fps for a 170) are darned near ideal for what a .30-30 carbine was designed to do, which is slay medium to large thin-skinned game at ranges out to maybe 200 or so yards. With well-placed shots, the extra 100 or maybe 150 fps you can get by goosing it will make no discernible difference in performance.

If you need the extra horsepower for longer shots, or shots at bigger game, juicing up the .30-30 will be a poor substitute for just stepping up to something more like a .300 Savage, .308, or bigger. You simply will never turn the old .30-30 in to much more than what it is -- and what it is is plenty good enough.

Reactions: Lucky1

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I guess you're right pisgah. It was probably a total waste of time with Hornady developing their leverevolution ammunition.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
The rod run last Sunday had quite a few Model A's with small block Chevy and Ford engines. Might a been some big blocks as well. Just an observation don't ya know. ::) DP

Reactions: rooterpig

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
BillyHill said:
I guess you're right pisgah. It was probably a total waste of time with Hornady developing their leverevolution ammunition.
Well, not from a marketing standpoint, surely, because folks will always go for a gimmick. But a gimnmick it is, and one of limited utility.

I'll elaborate. Look at the Hornady ballistic chart and note two things:
-- First, having chronoed many, many .30-30 loads in my time, I will absolutely guarantee you that all velocities quoted were from 24" barrels. No factory 150 or 170 gr. loads will equal the velocities shown, and neither will the LE round, from a 20" carbine, which is what the vast majority of .30-30 shooters are using. True, the LE will outspeed standard loads in a carbine, too, but the differences will not be as dramatic, and the resulting trajectory and energy figures shown become pure bunk.
-- Second, note that the LE's figures are shown for a 200 yard zero, while the standard loads are shown with a 100 yard zero. Make that 100 yard figure for the standard loads 3" high to match the LE, and all of a sudden the trajectory advantage of the LE ammo out at 300 yards all but vanishes -- the difference becomes .6" WITH A 20" BARREL AND ATTENDANT LOWER VELOCITIES -- use a 24" barrel for the standards and the difference is even smaller -- and very few can even see or hold to within .6" at that range. True, the remaining energy will be higher for the LE at long range, given the higher velocity; but keep in mind, they've jiggered the velocity figures, as well.

I am not saying that souped up handloads or LE ammo offer no advantages -- but they are very, very small. I will say again, if you need more gun, get it, and don't fool yourself in to thinking you're getting it for free with magic ammo.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
pisgah If you go to Hornadys website you can use the ballistic calculator and see the difference for yourself. It's not all about speed. The Hornady 150 rn bullet at 2400 fps mv will do 1340 fps, 598 ft/lbs energy and -16.8 trajectory at 300 yrds with a 200 zero. The FTX bullet starting 100 fps slower at 2300 fps is doing 1620 fps, 933ft/lbs energy and -13.8 trajectory at 300 yrds with a 200yrd zero. In fact at 300 yrds the FTX load is only 20 fps slower than the rn bullet is at 200 yrds. The FTX also has the advantage in hitting power actually retaining slightly more energy at 300 yrds than rn bullet dose at 200 yrds. So I am literally extending the effective range of my 30-30 by 100 yrds with my hand loads without juicing them up to the max. They also shoot very accurately in my rifle.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
BillyHill said:
pisgah If you go to Hornadys website you can use the ballistic calculator and see the difference for yourself. It's not all about speed. The Hornady 150 rn bullet at 2400 fps mv will do 1340 fps, 598 ft/lbs energy and -16.8 trajectory at 300 yrds with a 200 zero. The FTX bullet starting 100 fps slower at 2300 fps is doing 1620 fps, 933ft/lbs energy and -13.8 trajectory at 300 yrds with a 200yrd zero. In fact at 300 yrds the FTX load is only 20 fps slower than the rn bullet is at 200 yrds. The FTX also has the advantage in hitting power actually retaining slightly more energy at 300 yrds than rn bullet dose at 200 yrds. So I am literally extending the effective range of my 30-30 by 100 yrds with my hand loads without juicing them up to the max. They also shoot very accurately in my rifle.
If you buy their figures, you are correct. If you actually chron loads from rifles and shoot them at 300 yards, you will find out otherwise.

Again, not saying there's no advantage -- just that they exaggerate it significantly.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Again it's not all about speed. I was shooting spire points out of my 30-30 thirty years ago with one in the tube and one in the chamber. They had a very significant advantage in trajectory over round nose or flat nose bullets. I have seen the difference with my own eyes. It doesn't matter if a rn bullet starts out faster a spire point bullet will still have more energy and velocity at 200 yards and at 300 yrds the advantage is even greater. Spire points and FTX bullets have a higher BC. Don't take my word for it. Try it out like I did. You will see the difference. Real Guns tested the leverevolution 30-30 ammo in a 20" barrel model 94. The 160 Grn LVRs chronyed at 2287 fps. Speer and sierra rn 150 grn bullets hvae a BC. of .225-.227. The FTX has a BC. of .330 . Run those BC. numbers through any ballistic calculator at 2300 fps, sighted 3" high at 100 yrds like many hunters do, and again you will see the difference.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Many folks won't believe this but my youngest son (19) can shoot his Glenfield 30 with factory LV bullets MAO. I've taken a deer with it at 225 yds. At 200 yds off a bench it will shoot 3" groups all day and with a little Kentucky windage plop them right in the 10 ring. I haven't got to shoot their 35 Rems yet but have 2 boxes of factory LV and one box of LV I loaded with 38 grs Varget. I just ordered the 30/30 dies and will be loading some of those soon. I had some trouble stuffing the LVs into 357 shells trimmed to where Hornady says they need to be trimmed to using H110 powder, not enouigh case cap. I'm going to try some Tite group but it won't give the vol that they were ment to have. I'll have to find another powder for the trimmed cases. On a side note the 35 rem Core Locs cases don't need to be trimmed to load the LVs in them according to the specs I got from Hornady.
I'm haven't got the 30/30 or 44 mag bullets to load those. They seem to as scarce as hens teeth but I'm sure they will become available soon.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
When the Leverevolution first came out back in 06 or 07 I tried it in the 30-30. I wanted to see for myself if the claims Hornady made were there. At the range the ammo shot well and at 300 yards the ballistic drop listed on the end of the box was just about what my rifle was shooting. I had several chances to shoot does (late season) at ranges under 200 yards but I waited because I wanted at least a 300 yard shot. The shot finally came one evening. It was right at 300 yards and was a stright on shot, she dropped in her tracks. the bullet went in the North end and exited the South end. The bullet design with the high BC is what gives it the ballistic advantage over a round nose design.

Now if a person shoots most of his deer under 100 yards there really isn't much of an advantage, but if you hunt where the possibility of a 300 yard exist, the advantage is there.

as far as a real advantage or gimmic if you look at Hornadys Factory ammo ballistic for each of their 30-30 loads there is a distinct advantage at 300 yards.

140 gr Monoflex load with a BC of .277 at 300 yards has a velocity of 1653 and energy at 850
150 gr RN interlock with BC of .186 at 300 yards has a velocity of 1276 and energy at 542
160 gr FTX with BC of .241 at 300 yards has a velocity of 1699 and energy at 1025
170 gr FP Interlock with BC of .189 at 300 yards has a velocity of 1186 and energy at 530

There is also a big advantage at 100 yards in terms of energy, but will an animal know at 100 yards? not likely

Reactions: Lucky1

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
big medicine said:
When the Leverevolution first came out back in 06 or 07 I tried it in the 30-30. I wanted to see for myself if the claims Hornady made were there. At the range the ammo shot well and at 300 yards the ballistic drop listed on the end of the box was just about what my rifle was shooting. I had several chances to shoot does (late season) at ranges under 200 yards but I waited because I wanted at least a 300 yard shot. The shot finally came one evening. It was right at 300 yards and was a stright on shot, she dropped in her tracks. the bullet went in the North end and exited the South end. The bullet design with the high BC is what gives it the ballistic advantage over a round nose design.

Now if a person shoots most of his deer under 100 yards there really isn't much of an advantage, but if you hunt where the possibility of a 300 yard exist, the advantage is there.

as far as a real advantage or gimmic if you look at Hornadys Factory ammo ballistic for each of their 30-30 loads there is a distinct advantage at 300 yards.

140 gr Monoflex load with a BC of .277 at 300 yards has a velocity of 1653 and energy at 850
150 gr RN interlock with BC of .186 at 300 yards has a velocity of 1276 and energy at 542
160 gr FTX with BC of .241 at 300 yards has a velocity of 1699 and energy at 1025
170 gr FP Interlock with BC of .189 at 300 yards has a velocity of 1186 and energy at 530

There is also a big advantage at 100 yards in terms of energy, but will an animal know at 100 yards? not likely
Well thought out and said.

T ;) NY

·
Registered
363 Posts
Delbert said:
What I want to know, if anybody's tried it, is what gave you better accuracy, along with velocity, and using a 150 to 180 grain bullet? Was it hand loading with a slight hotter charge? Using Leverolution Ammo? Or, going with a Ackley Improved cylinder?
My rifle is most accurate at 100 yards with factory Federal 170 gr. loads. Right around MOA. I get the best combination of useful accuracy and downrange thump, however, with Leverevolution, so that is what I shoot -either factory stuff or reloads that duplicate factory ballistics according to my chronograph. The Leverevolution ammo is sub-1.5 MOA out of my rifle. I use it because it essentially offers teminal ballistics at 300 yards that is equal to or better than other round nosed fodder at 200.

Prior to trying the Leverevolution, I had thought about having my chamber reamed for .30-30 Ack. Imp. but I'll likely not be bothering with that now.

T_C

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Why not use the ftx out of an AI to get even more range.? And as far as why try to soup up a 3030 instead of buying a 308, I have been hotrodding since I was knee high to a duck and I personally rather enjoy the challenges and accomplishments.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts