Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many versions of the "Levermatic" were offered by Marlin?I have four variants in my collection,two 62s in .256 and .30.a steel receiver clip-fed 56 in 22 and a tube-fed 57M 22mag.with a steel receiver.For years I'v thought my collection was complete but I met a fellow who swears he's seen a 62 in 22 Jet and an aluminum 56 and 57M.Can someone tell me"HOW BIG IS THE HOLE IN MY COLLECTION?"Thanks,MP.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Just opinion- I'm no expert.... Marlin announced to the trade a chambering in .22 Rem. Jet, but I don't think the gun got beyond the announcement stage- none of my collector's guides mention the Jet.

As for the Aluminum gun, some of the earlier rimfire 62's had an aluminum receiver. There's probly more knowledgeable people around than me on the 62....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I agree with Doc - if a 22 jet was made, it was a tool room prototype.

A complete levermatic collection? Well, you might like to have the 62 in serial & non-serial numbered varities. There were 4000 or so that were made prior to the need for numbering.

There were 2 styles of model 56 - the early had the 'squared' steel receiver back & a straight stock. The 2nd style had the rounded aluminum receiver back & a Monte Carlo style stock. Also produced were the 'Royal Canadian' mod.56, a model made for Sears and the model 56 "Clipper King". (rare - as in 152 of them were made)

Two styles of the model 57, too. The 1st variation had the aluminum receiver you speak of, and the 2nd had steel, of course. In addition to the regular model 57, there was also the 'Royal Canadian' -( 440 made) and one made for Western Auto.

The 57M came in 3 variations. The 1st 2 as per the model 57, and the 3rd had a fancier stock. Also look for the 57M Sears and 57M Western Auto. There will be numbered & un-numbered guns for each model, and there may be some in the catalogs I've missed. No 22 jet, though.

Ya got your work cut for ya now!! :D SW

Later... I grabbed my only model 56 to see where it falls in the Levermatic scheme of things. It has the early 'squared' steel receiver, but has the same stock as the second variation. It ain't a clipper King as the buttplate isn't red, and the barrel is not marked as such. Hmmm... The factory using left over parts?? I do not know!

I may be missing something here, but Mr. Brophy says "When introduced in 1955, the receiver of the Model 56 was steel with a squared-off rear end. In 1956, the receiver was changed to one of aluminum that curved at the rear. At this same time, the stock was changed from one with a straight comb to one having a Monte Carlo comb." This one also has a gold trigger. Someone jump in here if I'm wrong, but I do not believe gold triggers were available in 1955. Interesting.

I'd swap it fer an M88.90 Steyr!! :D SW

·
Banned
461 Posts
There was a 22 rem Jet made. The president of the Marlin Collector's owns it. I've seen it at a collector's show being dipsplayed. I never thought the creature existed either, until then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts