Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'll have a little fun with this topic. OK! if you had to have a levergun in a true defensive (quasi-combat) situation (let's say going up against some punk or terrorist type with an AK or SKS), which levergun (if that is all you had - no AR's, etc), would you choose? p.s., I'm not talking super long range (within 100 yards).

Myself, I wouldn't feel terribly outguned with my Marlin 94 (it holds 10 + 1 capacity and with the side loading gate can be loaded on the fly). Also, 44 mag is more than powerful enough at this range (actually more powerful than 7.62X39).

I know I would probably never have to use my brush hunting rifle in such a situation but it would still be a comfort. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
The 1893, 38-40 that carried 15 rounds. Sold one in a deal for a takedown and wish I hadn't.

G

·
Mel Tappan (Tappan sights) was once asked what he wanted in a survival rifle (if he could have ANYTHING he wanted)==he answered "My 270". When asked "why", he answered "If I want an assault rifle, I'll shoot the other guy in the head and walk over to take his==I'll choose what I'm used to!".

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would feel comfortable with my 1894 CB II with the plug removed it holds something like 13 rounds. It is certainly battle rifle accurate at 100 yards.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think I would prefer the '94 in .357. It's been proven on two-legged varmints, even out of a handgun. Plus, recovery time would be much better.
Matt

G

·
Any of my 1894s are accurate enough for full size human targets within 100yds. The question of firearm choice is probably a moot one if the bad guy gets off the first aimed shot.

The Hmong in the Wisconsin tree stand last year killed 5 or 6 people with his little SKS. Granted most were not armed, but the ones that were died too.

The trick is to somehow discover there is someone who wants to kill you, before he takes that first aimed shot. If he is busy shooting up the neighborhood, odds are a careful fellow might seek cover and end the fight before being spotted.

To trade shots one on one out in the open does not appeal to me, especially if the BG gets the first one. Most BGs feel the same and would take pains to ambush me if they saw I was armed.

The mere choice of weapon is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak. Without situational awareness, and the mental mindset to seize upon any advantage and kill the enemy, the advantage goes to the aggressor. This is not a pleasant thought. It is not gentlemanly to distract or sneak around the back of an opponent and simply kill him. But there it is.

Rick

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
.357CB 94, with hard cast and a full load of 2400 14rds and good penitration. However in a situation like that I would opt to borrow an assault rifle, from one of the punks. Make that kill them all.

·
Registered
455 Posts
RGS said:
<snip>

Without situational awareness, and the mental mindset to seize upon any advantage and kill the enemy, the advantage goes to the aggressor. This is not a pleasant thought. It is not gentlemanly to distract or sneak around the back of an opponent and simply kill him. But there it is.

Rick
When I was young, and learning how to stay alive in combat. I don't remember anyone telling me how to do it in a gentlemanly manner.

Acting gentlemanly, was almost a sure ticket to the graveyard ...

During the Revolutionary war, the English had a poem, which I know a phrase from, "Behind every tree and stump," "the Yankee soldiers and the son's-of-bitches (English deserters) jump." To the English soldiers maneuvering out in the open, that was considered unsporting -- however, those innovating, (at the time) Yankee tactics whipped the English.

If I were limited to one gun, and it was a lever action, I would choose one of my Marlin 1894's in .357 Magnum. It shoots flatter, and is more than adequate for the job.

Bill

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Your scenario suggests an urban and possibly crowded setting. I'd prefer to have my .45acp, as I doubt that I'd be carrying a rifle in town......BUT, yes, I feel pretty comfortable with my levers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I had to grab a levergun I'd get an 1894C in .357. I've never had a firearm in that caliber which wasn't accurate and flat shooting with 158 grain bullets. I can't explain why, but it 'works'. I think the .357 is greatly underrated.

The cartridge was designed in the mid 1930's to stop a fleeing felon who was in a vehicle. It had to have enough energy, from a revolver, to penetrate the automobile body and disable the 'bad guy' inside.

If I had my 'druthers' in a riot situation, I'd have an M1 carbine but an 1894C would be my second choice.

Jim H

G

·
I think it was Jeff Cooper who said that " A rifle is the proper tool for a man in a fight. A pistol is the proper tool for a man to fight his way to a rifle."

In that spirit, I would suggest that in those circumstances, a manual action rifle (i.e., lever-gun) is an appropriate tool for a man to use to fight his way to an arm which delivers a more "generous" volume of fire.

:D

G

·
Anonymous said:
I think it was Jeff Cooper who said that " A rifle is the proper tool for a man to use in a fight. A pistol is the proper tool for a man to use to fight his way to a rifle."

In that spirit, I would suggest that in given circumstances, a manual action rifle (i.e., lever-gun) is an appropriate tool for a man to use to fight his way to an arm which delivers a more "generous" volume of fire.

:D

·
Banned
461 Posts
I think I'd stick with my 1894M. I can carry tons more ammo than the heavier, bigger calibers and still be able to kill most anything the same distance away as the others.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would use a lever action in a fight any time. An advantage of .367 or 44 mag is that the shorter handgun cartridge enable shorter lever strokes, therefore faster recycling. I staright grip stock would, I think, also enable faster handling.

MadDog

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
MadDog said:
I would use a lever action in a fight any time. An advantage of .367 or 44 mag is that the shorter handgun cartridge enable shorter lever strokes, therefore faster recycling. I staright grip stock would, I think, also enable faster handling.

MadDog
Not just the "shorter lever strokes" but the "design" of handgun bullets too

·
Registered
57 Posts
Amen, Howie38! I forgot about the design of handgun bullets being an advantage. Additional factors that facilitate fast handling are low recoil and overall balance. I've had several semi auto and bolt action carbines and they feel clubbish compared to a lever gun. I think pumps run a close second, though.

MadDog

G

·
Let's think "first well placed shot wins", not how much firepower you have. At a 100 yds, a Hornet or a Bee would do for a good head shot and put Tango DOWN!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts