Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used my bullet puller on a 30/30 160 gr and weighed the powder was about 34 grs and looked very much like Winchester 748.. does anyone know for sure or how you could determine what powder is being used

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I'm sure its a custom powder not available to us. William Iorg over on Beartooth took them apart and was able to beat the velocity with IMR4895. I will say he also probably beat the accuracy in his gun and had increased pressure. He incidentally, measured 35gr. I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I use 32g's of W748 in my 336C for 170g bullets. So that doesn't seem too far off for a 165.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I've heard that they use a new proprietary powder developed just for them. In other words, you can't get it. And if it really IS W-748, I kinda doubt they'd admit it!

Papajohn

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
It would be good buisness to use standard, over the counter powder.
I'm sure it's cheeper than a "special blend".

·
Registered
394 Posts
It would be good business to use standard, over the counter powder.
I'm sure it's cheeper than a "special blend".

Not necessarily. You have to think in terms of Value. If they get it in a big enough lot, they can pass on the minor increase to the purchaser. That's Value for them. You'll note the cost of the LE ammo isnt substantially more than other quality ammo.

If it offers improved performace, which by all accounts it does - then they have a viable product to market and not just a "hyped" one. That's Value for you.

In the end, they have a useful and desirable, "hot" product, that you can only get from one source - them - and which you are willing to pay the premium for.

My economics professor taught me that it is MOST desirable from a merchandising standpoint to have the first and best of anything on the market; all others are then either followers or imitators (or both).

Now that makes good business sense and Hornady obviously has learned the lesson. That's Value.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts