Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just bought my first box of LEVERevolution. The box says I may need to change my magazine follower to get the last round out of the mag. My 30-30 is a Remlin from April 2013. I've put a few hundred rounds of a variety of different rounds through this and never had any issues. Question is - Any experience with this issue using Leverevolution?? The box that I have are 160 gr.

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Only issue I had was not wanting to shoot anything else. That stuff runs awesome through my 336. The only thing i dont like is the possible issues of tips going flat if in the tube for too long. I have not heard how long is to long, but im sure temperature is in play as well. No problems with follower.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I too stayed away from the leverevolution thinking some type of mag follower fix would be needed...glad to hear it's not an issue. Now I must go buy some and shoot. And I thought my week was going to be a dud...sha-right!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
People have told me that the gummy tips have never been an issue, I looked into it a while back. Some people get a jam because of the follower, but I haven't found anyone that said the gummy tips went flat on them. My 1976 336 cycles full tubes of LE at the range just fine, I just need to try it in the field. Still waiting for the dimpled follower in the mail.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I never have had a problem with mine!!!!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Administrator
30,589 Posts
Only issue I had was not wanting to shoot anything else. That stuff runs awesome through my 336. The only thing i dont like is the possible issues of tips going flat if in the tube for too long. I have not heard how long is to long, but im sure temperature is in play as well. No problems with follower.
I spoke with a Hornady Tech regarding duration of leaving Flex Tips in the magazine and he said you shouldn't leave them in longer than 24 hours. And yes, he was serious.

I also asked him how long the Flex Tips are good for in storing and he said we really do not know yet. Hm, I guess we're all field testers in ascertaining that answer. Although, I still have a case of 32 Special I purchased about 3 years ago and they seem to be fine.

Jack

·
Registered
569 Posts
My older Marlin S.C., made in 1950, doesn't cycle them very well, the last time I tried them out the gummy tip on the first round got stuck between the follower and the mag tube, jamming the round in place. I'm still using the old metal follower though, and I've been told the newer dimpled ones work just fine. I just don't shoot far enough to justify the extra cost of the LE rounds.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Be aware that if you plan to use the spent brass for reloads that they are shorter than standard brass.
I was under the impression that this was true of the 45-70 FTX stuff, but the other Hornady FTX was normal length. I know the 32WSPL brass was normal, I have not measured the 30-30 FTX but will check it out now that you have mentioned this. I have had no issuse cycling the FTX Leverevolution shells in my Winchester 94, or 336 in 32Wspl, or the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 made in 2008. But a 45-70 1895 from the early 70's would not bring the loaded rounds up from the mag tube with out getting stuck. I no longer buy the Hornady FTX leverevolution in 45-70. But two .32WSPL I have really like that ammunition. I'd like to know more about which calibers Hornady is running short brass on.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Be aware that if you plan to use the spent brass for reloads that they are shorter than standard brass.
I don't know if that applies to 30-30 cases. That may be true for the .444, .450 and .45-70. I've had to trim most of the Hornady once-fired brass, and the new (unfired, factory loaded) Hornady 160FTX cases are 2.035" long. The new unprimed Remington and Federal I have are also 2.035" long.

On Edit: The factory loaded 170G Winchesters I have are 2.025" and the PPU stuff varies from 2.021" to 2.032", which may explain why they do not extract well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was under the impression that this was true of the 45-70 FTX stuff, but the other Hornady FTX was normal length. I know the 32WSPL brass was normal, I have not measured the 30-30 FTX but will check it out now that you have mentioned this. I have had no issuse cycling the FTX Leverevolution shells in my Winchester 94, or 336 in 32Wspl, or the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 made in 2008. But a 45-70 1895 from the early 70's would not bring the loaded rounds up from the mag tube with out getting stuck. I no longer buy the Hornady FTX leverevolution in 45-70. But two .32WSPL I have really like that ammunition. I'd like to know more about which calibers Hornady is running short brass on.
Sorry, I can only speak of the 45-70 round having this problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
(I have LE rounds in .450, .45-70, and .35rem. The .35rem LE casings are the same length as no LE casings, the .450 and .45-70 are shorter.)

Does make your 45-70 a 45-65?

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Every time we whip out the 30AS and do a 6 out of 6 hits at the 200 yard gong, a bunch of new friends want to know what we are shoot though that thar lever.

Home made FTX with 33.3gr Ball C L2 pushing them along.

Never have shot any of the store boughts, Have a 100 of them, because its illegal to shoot folk with reloaded rounds in this state.

Hopin we never find out how good they work

·
Registered
682 Posts
All 3 of the 336W 30-30's I have handle the LeveRevolution rounds no problem, all 3 hold 6+1 and never had an issue!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Never an issue. They cycle fine through my 2006 336XLR. It's my favorite round for whitetails. Powerful, flat shooting, and deadly on thin skinned game.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My older Marlin S.C., made in 1950, doesn't cycle them very well, the last time I tried them out the gummy tip on the first round got stuck between the follower and the mag tube, jamming the round in place. I'm still using the old metal follower though, and I've been told the newer dimpled ones work just fine. I just don't shoot far enough to justify the extra cost of the LE rounds.
A simple solution is to load a Remington Corelock as the first round in the mag tube, followed by LE rounds. Works great in my old 336's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.