Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another post, DeerMafia commented that LeverEvoloution ammo has a bit more percieved recoil than Core Lokt.
In shooting my 336, I wouldn't have noticed the difference if my son, who was watching me shoot, hadn't mentioned that it "looked like it hurt to shoot the red pointy ones." I guess the recoil does seem a bit "snappier" with it to me, but my shoulder can't tell the difference, thanks to the LimbSaver pad I have on the butt.

Anybody besides me and DeerMafia notice a difference in recoil shooting .30-30 LeverEvo vs. other leading brands in 336's?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
If Leverevolution recoil is greater, it would be that it is just beginning to emerge from the "pop gun" recoil I feel the 30-30 does have. Once you've shot bigger guns, the recoil is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Hand loading my own FTX with the LE powder and I don't notice a difference. Grouping is not as tight as I like yet either.

A 1" thick piece of firm packing foam in the buttstock cover makes it very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I use Leverevolution for hunting and I see no difference in recoil between that and the 150's I use at the range.

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
We're probably not comparing apples to apples. What grain bullet are you using in the Core-Lokt? I've never noticed it, as a matter of fact, I've always felt the LE ammo in 30-30 or 35 Remington might have a little less recoil than the loads I normally shoot. But if there is a difference it couldn't be much.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Fired the store bought FTX & home made with Ball C L2, never noticed any difference.
Even loaded Hornady, Speer & Sierra bullets, and never noticed any difference.
30-30 is mild any way you look at it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
just got a lb. of LVR, and will be making up .35rem this wk-end.
i can tell the difference in 180 & 200gr. bullets w/ the same
amount of powder.
will try to gage between the powders too.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I noticed that the LE ammo bumped a little more than the 200 grain Remington or Federal, but then I got a 35 Whelen, too, and after shooting the 250's in that, the LE/35 Rem seems pretty tame by comparison... ;D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Two weeks ago, I spent the PM on a rifle range near the Ottawa River and fired at 100 yards, benchrested and standing with a Marlin 336RC .35 Rem.

I even mixed the ammo between the Leverevolution and Remington 200 grains rounds just to see if I would notice a difference in recoil and point of impact.

When I fired six rounds (3 Levers and 3 Remingtons, placed this way in the mag: L-R-L-R-L-R ) I noticed a slightly harder recoil and slightly different report with the Levers.

When I fired them one round at a time and then switched to another gun, I could not tell what kind of round I had fired until I extracted the casing.

Both types of rounds were hiting the target at 3 inches high at 100 with the scope and with the iron sights (see through mount).

The 200 yard range had not been used for a while and there was 30 inches of snow all over so I did not use the gun at that range.

First impression of the Levers: very clean shooting ammo; not one glitch or hesitation with the action; very tight group for a shooter who has not been on a rifle or pistol range since mid December.

I had been concerned about the impact of cold weather on those red rubber thingies on the Levers. I was out in -10 F temperature. Not arctic weather but just as cold as any fall deer season is ever likely to be.
I have full confidence in those Levers now.

Sincerely,

JDP
Team 35 # 88
Team 30-30 # 82

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Great report MilPsych, so -10 F eh? And I was whining about +15 F last week :p

Interesting though, it seemed the LE powder grouped better from my 30-30 in +45 F than in +15 F.

More testing needed.....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dr. A said:
Once you've shot bigger guns, the recoil is hardly noticeable.
Does a .375 Holland and Holland Magnum count as "bigger"? :)

The recoil of my .30-30 is indeed hardly noticeable. It is even less so now, after having a LimbSaver recoil pad installed. The reason that I posed the question was that I can't feel much recoil at all with my .30-30, let alone feel if there's a difference between ammo, and I was curious if there was a difference in felt recoil with the L.E.

T-C

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Comparing box stock .30-30 150 gr Core-Lokts with my "warm" 160 gr FTX handloads -- I don't notice any perceptible difference in recoil. I would have thought that the FTXs would have a bit more pop, but only a bit. Close enough. FWIW, pushing the envelope "hot" 125 gr Speer handloads also recoil about the same.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I normally shoot with my 35 the 200 grain core lokt, which th recoil in minimal. I noticed a little difference in the kick of the leverevolution, im not saying it was a big difference just something I noticed, and I just thought of the fact that I just removed the scope and I am comparing how the core lokts felt with the scope on compared to the leverevo with the scope off which is probably the reason!!!! I shot my 12ga shotgun alot so the recoil is not much of a thing for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,820 Posts
There is definitely a difference of felt recoil, Betty Lou is a straight up 336W 30-30 and the butt pad will let you feel it. It's not a killer kick, but none the less it is noticeable to my brother, nephew, and myself. Mr fixit

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I noticed a difference in my Contender Carbine with the 35 Rem's. LE's bounced the trigger guard off my knuckle, the coreloc's didn't, both 200 gr. DP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts