Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disassembled a .32 Win. Special Hornady ftx round and weighed the powder and it had 37.8grs of the Lvrevolution powder. COL was 2.550. Won't be hard to duplicate round. Has anyone loaded the .32 Win Lvr Hornady round as yet and did they see the same results as me. I thought I might disassemble two or three more rounds to see if I get the same results.

"fk"

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm intrigued by this - has anybody crhono'd this round? I've been thinking of getting a pound of Leverevolution powder to play with using Hornady or Speer FP bullets.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Can I offer a word of caution on trying to exactly duplicate the Hornady factory load? If someone at the Hornady lab told you the exact formula, then OK. Otherwise, generally, factory ammo is NOT loaded with canister (ie, over the counter cans) of powder. They're usually loaded from large batches of specially blended powders that are specified to achieve a particular result (ie, pressure, velocity, cleanliness, etc.). In other words, the batch of powder sold to handloaders may be very similar to what is loaded in the factory ammo, but not exact.

I doubt in the case of .32 Win Spc that the difference would be much if any, but I'm mentioning it as a general caution to handloaders who might be tempted to duplicate factory ammo by simply pulling a bullet, eyeballing the powder, and concluding what powder and how much was used, then trying to duplicate the factory round. That's generally a bad way to go at it.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hank,
I thought I might start a little lower like 10% and work my way up. Hornady uses this lvr powder on their 30-30 and 35Rem so being in the middle I thoght they may use it on the .32 Win Spec since this is round supposed to be a duplicate of the 30-30. So if I start at 34grs and work my way up I don't think there will be a problem. I was hoping someone else had already done all the work on this forum and could point me in the right direction. Guess I will have to do it all by myself unless I get and answer on this thread. I electronically weigh all powder charges and chrongraph all rounds. I have already chrongraphed the rounds of factory ammunition out of my .32 Win Special Marlin 336 and it avg'd 2370 out of a 20" barrel. My rifle loves it and the accuracy was MOA at 100yds, so I will look to see if I can match the factory load.

"fk"

·
Registered
181 Posts
[quote="fk" ]
Disassembled a .32 Win. Special Hornady ftx round and weighed the powder and it had 37.8grs of the Lvrevolution powder. COL was 2.550. Won't be hard to duplicate round. Has anyone loaded the .32 Win Lvr Hornady round as yet and did they see the same results as me. I thought I might disassemble two or three more rounds to see if I get the same results.

"fk"
[/quote]

Load data from the Hornady manual (8th edition)

32 Win Special

Firearm tested: Winchester 94 Brass: Remington
Test Barrel Length: 20" Primer: Federal 210

Bullet: 165gr FTX (B.C. 0.300) -and/or- 170gr InterLock FP (B.C. 0.249)
COAL: 2.545 (FTX) 2.565 (InterLock)
Powder: Hodgdon Leverevolution

2000 fps -- 33.1 gr
2100 fps -- 35.0 gr
2200 fps -- 36.8 gr
2300 fps -- 38.5 gr MAX LOAD

LVR is the only powder they show that gets 2300 fps, the most any other gets is 2200 fps.

30-30 Winchester

Firearm tested: Winchester 94 Brass: Hornady/Frontier
Test Barrel Length: 20" Primer: Federal 210

Bullet: 160gr FTX (B.C. 0.330)
COAL: 2.535
Powder: Hodgdon Leverevolution

1900 fps -- 27.7 gr
2000 fps -- 30.0 gr
2050 fps -- 31.7 gr
2100 fps -- 32.4 gr
2200 fps -- 33.8 gr
2300 fps -- 37.0 gr MAX LOAD

All other loads shown max out at 2100 fps or below

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I have not loaded the .32 Special 165gr component bullet or used the Leverevolution powder as of yet. I have chronographed the Hornady factory leverevolution load in my one .32 Special and it was right at 2300fps out of my
20" barrel. I has been a super accurate load in several of my .32 Specials, both Win Mod 94 and Marlin 336SC. It also kills deer right smart. I plan on buying some component 165gr FTX bullets and load them for my four .32 Specials. I'm thinking I may have a job on my hands to match the quality of the Hornady factory loads however.
358 Win

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Has anyone disassembled a factory 30-30, or 32 Special LE cartridge and looked at the powder vs the LVR powder and at least visually determined if they look the same? The powder from a 338 LE rather fine, and has a shine to it. It's not like any other powder I have used. It actually looks like a blended powder.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I disassembled a factory 30-30-160gr ftx and have 2 lbs of le powdwer, they visually look the same. The factory load is compressed and weighs what the lable on the container specifys for the hand load.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think Hodgon would put the label of "Levereloution" on the powder if it wasn't the original powder. Think about all the liabililties and law suits that would happen if it wasn't. On Sept 3, 2010 I chronographed the Hornady factory loads at our local gun club range and for ten rounds I averaged the following:

Low 2338 fps
Avg 2370 fps
Hi 2397 fps

The gun I used is a 1949 Marlin 336 RC with 20" barrel and ballard rifling. I don't know if this helped my speed but it sure didn't hurt. I thought this was outstanding for and old rifle and accuracy was right at an inch. All I need to do now with the rifle is shoot it for practice.

"fk"

·
Registered
440 Posts
shooter69 said:
I disassembled a factory 30-30-160gr ftx and have 2 lbs of le powdwer, they visually look the same. The factory load is compressed and weighs what the lable on the container specifys for the hand load.
I am curious what the container specifys. I have seen the Hornady data in their new loading manual and the Hodgdon data on line. They are very different. Hornady says max is 37gr. Hodgdon says 35.5. What does the container say?

Bob A

·
Registered
633 Posts
le hogdon container says 35.5 compressed.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
All I'm going to say is that it's a very poor idea to make assumptions about what a given powder is based solely on appearance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Perhaps if you took 10 rounds apart and weighed he charges, put 5 back together with the original charges as your baseline (control group), put 5 back together with an equal weight of the commercial LVR powder (test group), and then compare chronograph readings.

This way they would be mechanically the same with the only difference being the powder. If the results are the same then they are likely selling the actual powder they use.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I need to get Hornady's latest manual read the data and go from there. I thought about starting at 35 grains but I guess I need the manual first. No use reinventing the wheel again.

"fk"

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
[quote="fk" ]
I don't think Hodgon would put the label of "Levereloution" on the powder if it wasn't the original powder. Think about all the liabililties and law suits that would happen if it wasn't.

"fk"
[/quote]

I don't believe this for a second. I think Hornady has several "Leverevolution" powders in differing blends for different cartridges. I think they released on version that is probably best suited for the 30-30, but it probably won't work too well with other cartridges. I think that's been proven with the 338 ME already.

·
Registered
181 Posts
[quote="fk" ]
I guess I need to get Hornady's latest manual read the data and go from there. I thought about starting at 35 grains but I guess I need the manual first. No use reinventing the wheel again.

"fk"
[/quote]

When I get home tonight I'll add the data for the 30-30 to the post above (from the Hornady 8th edition manual)

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hornady never gives the final data on a load they only publish 000's which is a pain where you sitdown. I can't figure out why.

"fk"

·
Registered
181 Posts
Probably one of those "your mileage may vary" things. Sierra manual is like that as well. I'd rather have real starting/max load info like the Lyman or Speer manuals.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I'm pretty darn sure that the powder used in rifle caliber and pistol caliber leverevolution ammo is different. 35grs of a pistol powder would make things more exciting than I care to experience in a rifle cartridge.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.